Thursday, March 04, 2010

In N' Out

I think that when I get in the blog-writing mood, I find I can update more often. Yay for you!
The title of this blog post comes from the simple fact that In N' Out is basically amazing. So amazing, in fact, that it would be in the top ten things I would miss about California if I were to ever leave. You may think that this is is drastic, but seriously...scrumptious and simple food is scrumptious and simple food. period. (side note, i really like the word scrumptious too. it makes me feel so happy and like i'm all wrapped up in a big comfy blanket after a nice warm bath. does that make any sense?)

But since I mentioned a top ten things I would miss from California, I figure I'll go ahead and put that list in words for you here.
Now be forewarned that I have never actually sat down and made a list, mentally or tangibly. So work with me here. I am also leaving space 10 blank, so please give a suggestion for what you think could go there... Also, disclaimer. these are in no particular order of amazingness...they should technically be written in a round robin. This is a term I learned from Charlotte Doyle and is in that context about mutinies. It is where all the names are written in a circle so that no name is on top and no one man can take the blame for starting the mutiny. but i figure it works for top-twelve lists too.

Anyways.

1. the beach. (this place speaks to my heart. the ocean is so vast and one of the most beautiful creations of God. It is my place to go to when I want to let all of life go. I stand on the pier, extended from the land, the chaos of life hundreds of yards behind me, nothing but open, calm sea in front of me...)

2. the city. (for those of you who don't know, i thrive off of people. The city is full of life. depraved, broken, bustling life. I really cannot put into words what being in the heart of southern california is like for me. I can only imagine is like what a country person feels when they are in the middle of a lush field looking out over vast flatlands and basking in the openness, feeling their heart connected to that place. And for those who think the city is dirty and god-forsaken...don't be fooled. God is here. and evident.)

3. the mountains. (for as much as I love the city, everyone needs a place to get away and meet God. whether it be in a corner in your closet, driving in your car, sailing on the open seas or climbing a high mountain...everyone has a place. Being so close to the open sky, looking out over the smog-covered city i love so much, i am filled with an overwhelming sense of what God must see, on a very minute level. For anyone who has spent any time in the mountains, you know it has a certain fragrance about it that just proclaims life, God's creativity and becomes comfortingly familiar.)

4. the diversity. (I have only recently been thinking about how much i love the representation of diversity here. cultures, skin colors, languages, religions, foods, music, art, car models, names...it is so beautiful to me.)

5. the weather. (So I like snow. I really do. Its so prettyful, so white....SO COLD! Hence why i am totally fine just vacationing in snow, or driving up to the mountains for a snow day. But I do not want to live in snow. I can deal with fickle rainy/non rainy weather. But let the temp dip below 50 and out comes the winter wardrobe.)

6. the mexico. (i.love.everything.mexican. I love the food, the culture, the language, the country. I really can't explain it. And the reason this has anything to do with california is that mexico is SO close. and that I can work in a place where i have customers that cannot speak a word of english. i love it. they call me mexicana blanca. ;)

7. the in n' out. (told you it was coming =P. its just so...california. and everytime i go, i feel so californian, and at home. its quite wonderful. and turns out i eat there a lot. its easier on my college-girl wallet than many places.)

8. the idiosyncrasies. (i mean, we are called "land of the fruits and nuts" afterall. But I have come to just enjoy the *ahem* unique nature of people here. Yes there are unique people anywhere in the world, but come on... It could be everything from a professor who unicycles to class every day to a group of young adults walking backwards as part of a demonstration for whatever cause they support. people tie themselves to trees to save them and walk their decked out cats on leashes. oh the human mind.)

9. the popularity. (this may sound super shallow to you. But i'm not gonna lie that its fun to tell people you're from california and see their faces look like you just announced you are a professional dagger-swallower. a deeply satisfying mix of horror at your career choice and utter admiration that you have made it thus far without death. truly, we are superheros here. don't even trip.)

10. > (this is where the interaction side of the blog comes in!)

So that is my list. These are things I love. But I will say that I am not totally opposed to leaving california. Its not my heart right now, but as I well know, God is in the heart-changing business. So I'll stick close to Him and let him take care of me. He knows what i love. he gave me these passions. But he knows about things I might love that I haven't even considered yet.

And I know this is slightly off topic but the words to this Third Day song have been in my head recently after reading a Psalm proclaiming the Lord as King of Glory.

Who is this King of Glory that pursues me with his love
And haunts me with each hearing of His softly spoken words
My conscience, a reminder of forgiveness that I need
Who is this King of Glory who offers it to me...

His name is Jesus...Precious Jesus.
The Lord Almighty, King of my heart...King of Glory


5 comments:

heysoos said...

people just don't understand why i like it sooooo much =D
and as for #10... if only =P

Tyler Knochel said...

you can find most of those things in phoenix.
just sayin.
mexican culture here is prolly even stronger.
and were definitely closer to mexico.
andd more montains, less traffic. less "fruities"
haha.
i love you suzy.

Carol B said...

I think you pretty much nailed it. I was so disappointed that our recent trip was shortened and that I never got to go to In-N-Out this time. Under the Mexican section, I include Baja Fresh (or Rubios) fish tacos. When is Central Illinois going to get those??
For #10, and this is just for me, I miss the gentleness of the rain. I know you don't like rain much, and it does get old after awhile, but rain here is big and blasty and then goes away. I miss the long days of rain, the smell of the fresh air, and the sound of it hitting the pavement and dripping off the eaves. Not too much pavement out here. :-)
And to add a #11, I miss the cool summer nights, opening a window and feeling the breeze come in and cooling the house--expecially after a beach day, when I've taken a shower and my hair is still wet. Ahhh. It sort of makes me sad my kids won't grow up with that. But, there are great things about the midwest too, Suzy!
Carol

Anonymous said...

10. Consumerism (for lack of a better term) It would be hard to find another place where you can see the diversity of wealth in each neighborhood, each person's appearance, each automobile... from the meager to the most extravagant, side by side, living together, in some strange amiable coherence.

ximy

jody said...

I would definitely add flowers. Somehow, we can have amazing God-made flowers all the year long. They're planted in perfect color coordinated rows, splashed around in puddles among green grass islands or wild and free alongside a mountain trail or on a hillside. They're tall, short, fragrant, bright, intricate, delicate, hardy, growing on trees, on the ground, and everywhere in between. God really went over the top with color and creativity when He created the flowers! There is something so renewing and re-focusing about taking a walk on a crisp morning...just looking at the flowers everywhere and letting the praise rise up inside! Oh, SO GLORIOUS!