Thursday, June 03, 2010

Now Face to Face

No weeping, no hurt or pain.
No suffering, You hold me now
No darkness, no sick or lame
No hiding, You hold me now.

For eternity, all my heart will give
all the glory to Your name!

Last night, I sat with aunts and uncles, cousins and my Grammy as we sang hymns around Grampy's bedside. He was resting, his body frail and thin beneath the bedsheets. And yet there was an overwhelming peace in the room. As family members leaned down to say their goodbyes, voices choked up, tears running down their cheeks, there was only love and peace. It was a feeling and a presence that I cannot describe. But God was there, I have no doubts.
When my turn came, I could hardly speak...and when I did, I wasn't even sure what to say. How do you sum up 21 years in moments? How do you communicate to someone what they meant to you without having time to plan? This was a man who had read Bible stories to me, gave me piggy-back rides, always asked me to play piano and sing for him, listened as I poured out my 12-year-old heart to him, wanting to give it all to Jesus. He showed an interest and concern for my life, schooling and job...always ready to point me back to God in the face of this world and all it threw at me.
I wanted him to know how much those things meant to me...shaped me into who I am today. But the words wouldn't come. I told him I loved him...and to go Home to Jesus.

...and he did, a few short hours later. He took his last shaky breaths on this earth, and then went to see his Savior. He fought a good fight, finished the race, all the while keeping the faith! what an awesome example. He was surrounded by his children, his wife and the prayers and love of people across the world.

He will be missed, but how can I be sad when he is relieved of his pain and suffering. His disease had taken over his body, he was weak... But now he has a new body and will never be bound by the brokenness of this world. What he once saw through a glass darkly, he now sees face to face! PRAISE GOD!

Please pray for Grammy as she transitions into this new part of her journey. No matter how much this was expected, the changes and sadness are still difficult. Thanks alone to God, she is strong and has proven a steady example of love and peace through Grampy's last days on earth. She has amazing children, grandchildren, and other extended family and friends lifting her up in prayer...please don't stop.

A year ago, I wouldn't have been able to tell you that both of my grandpas would pass on to glory within a year of each other. From this point, two pillars who had always been a seeming constant in my life are not here. I knew this day would come...it was inevitable. But my little-girl heart had just expected these two men would be in my life forever. They would come to my college graduation, meet and question my future husband, they would watch me get married, hold my first baby...
But even without them present at these milestones in my life, their legacy of love and faithfulness will always stay with me as long as I live.


(The rest of the lyrics to the song: You Hold Me Now)

On that day when I see all that You have for me
When I see You face to face, there surrounded by Your grace
All my fears swept away in the light of Your embrace
Where Your love is all I need and forever I am free!

Where the streets are made of gold in your presence healed and whole
Let the songs of heaven rise to You and You alone!

No weeping. No hurt or pain.
No suffering, you hold me now!
No darkness. No sick or lame.
No hiding, you hold me now!

In this life I will stand through my joy and my pain
Knowing there's a greater day, theres a hope that never fades
When your name is lifted high and forever praises rise
For the glory of Your name, I believe for the day
when the wars and violence cease
All creation lives in peace...
Let the songs of heaven rise for You and You alone!



(Grampy, Grammy and Jenna)

(Aunt Aline, Grammy and Grampy)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suzy,
We are praying for your family in this time of loss--and yet rejoicing in an end of suffering and a journey well traveled.
Your Grampy was a very special person in my life, and I'll miss seeing him in CA, but I look forward to meeting him again some future day.
Carol Blunier