Monday, July 22, 2013

back in the saddle. figuratively.

As one friend kindly pointed out, "I can tell you're married.  You don't blog much." 
And that is very true. 
i am married. 
I don't blog much. 
But I have had several requests to keep blogging.  And honestly, I  had all the pictures on this post several days ago, and just never filled out captions. 

It has been a month.  Well tomorrow is our month-a-versary.  not sure if we're one of those couples that celebrates those or not...guess we'll find out. 

The past week has been busy with VBS every night, not to mention everyone and their brother was asking if I would pick up shifts at the restaurant.  AND it was our MN reception this weekend too!  Craziness.  

Side note, Those of you who knew me as a younger girl know that I loved being the center of attention.  As I have gotten older, that desire to be in the spotlight has diminished greatly.  This whole wedding thing is proof.  It is no longer exhilarating, but exhausting to talk to so many people.  Not that I didn't enjoy it...but I would much rather enjoy the chance to meet up with all our reception guests individually and have a cup of coffee and chat for a couple of hours.  There were many I didn't know well, but who have impacted Ben's life immensely.  I want to know more. Want to hear stories....and embarrassing moments ;) 

Anyway, by sunday afternoon, I had about all I could take.  I was silent all the way home, went straight upstairs, changed and promptly laid down in bed and slept for an hour.  Poor Ben probably didn't know what to do with me.  He is so used to seeing me social and energetic around people...i think this was a new experience for him.  But being the sweet guy that he is, he rubbed my back, was very patient and gave me plenty of time to regroup before we went out again to meet up with people that evening.  

God has blessed us SO much these past few months.  leading up to the wedding, during it, and in this month after.  I told ben early on that it all feels so good, right and normal that I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  People kept telling us to expect that marriage was hard and not always fun etc...  I get that.  And I want to remain realistic about it.  But on the other hand, I do NOT want to live in fear that it could all just crumble at any time.  So I am taking each day as it comes.  being grateful for the sweet moments: the laughter, the inside jokes, the dinners, the dog-walking, the driving, the singing, the laying in bed til all hours talking about whatever is on our minds, reading together, being able to get a hug whenever i need it... 

And all of that is just added to by the love, support and generosity of our friends and family.  People have been so kind to us.  We told a bit of our story to a family friend of Ben's.  Her response was so positive and encouraging that it made me so thankful all over again for how God brought us together.  and it made me love Ben even more.  (Crazy how every day brings new ways and reasons why I love him. it's pretty cool)

Anyway.  Enough of all that.  Here are some pictures =) 



Sierra is such a great dog.  Seriously.  She used to be kind of a terror.  But now she is maturing nicely and will just lay on the floor as we're doing stuff around the house.  


Although sometimes she chooses the most inconvenient places to sprawl.  Made for a cooking obstacle course.  But she's so happy i hate to move her. 


So I may or may not frequently take pictures of meals I cook and send them to my parents to prove that I can indeed be domestic.  I didn't do a TON of cooking while I lived at home (I did more when I was younger, but not as much recently)  But I was confident that I knew how...and just needed proof to send to my mom. =)
It's great because I don't have to cook for two.  Because Ben eats an exorbitant amount of food...and also enjoys leftovers to take to work.  So that works out pretty good for me.  


If he's lucky, I make breakfast for Ben too... Breakfast sandwiches and tacos.  Mmmm. 


On our way to the lake on the 4th

Love boating with friends. 

We went to the St. Croix River, which was SUPER high because of the rain.  And it was also a nasty color brown.  I had to tell myself I was swimming in tea.  it worked. 

Ben and his sister Claire swimming. 


We anchored the boat next to these cliffs.  It was beautiful!


Such a great day for boating!


=)

Our dining room table.  We got that new candle thing in the middle, some girls gave us fresh flowers...it makes me happy to have a dining table of my own =)


The other night, Ben and I watched the kiddos.  it was fun! 
Ender is such a little man. Love him. 


We had permission to light off a few extra firecrackers.  


Karlina was very into it.  


Although some were a bit loud for her comfort =)


Sparklers are always fun!


mesmerized. 


These are called snakes.  the kids loved watching them. 


Just the anticipation makes her cover her ears. 


He is so good with them...and they LOVE "Uncle Ben."  


Such a goofball.  

Anyway. there is a little snippet of life.  More pictures to come later.  
ACTUALLY.  I got some official photographs from the wedding, so I'll post some as soon as I sort through them! 
xoxo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure where "the other shoe will drop" came from. I prefer to think of it as the other shoe might land forward or backward from the current direction. But life's journey is amazing if we trust our steps to Him ...

Anonymous said...

Your mama is proud of you and your cooking adventures! Keep up the good work!
m

Bec said...

People kept telling me that "just wait" stuff too. We've been through some hard things but they were external (not in our relationship) and 12 years later it's still just fun being married! Adjusting to kids was harder than married life :)

Anonymous said...

The food looks good.