Saturday, July 12, 2014

I did it...

Maybe.  I may have...well...I think I just joined a new realm. 
 DIY (Do It Yourself).  Granola.  Crunchy.  Organic.  
Bleh...all those words kind of still make me cringe, because deep down I don't think I can ever be one of those.  So don't try to label me. Can't a girl decide to do something without being put into a box?  Can't I still like Mac n' Cheese with hotdogs, store-bought shampoo and then go way off the deep end and make my own deodorant?  

That's what I did.  I made deodorant.  Homemade.  In my kitchen.  For my pits.  
*sigh*  
I determined to myself that I wasn't going to be one of those girls who got all gung-ho about the merits of something and then preached its amazingness to the world. That should be mainly reserved for the topic of Jesus.  I just wanted to be an experimenter who told my readers about my experience.  Even if I love it and decide to never go back to store-bought...I don't want to make any reader feel bad or un-cool or anything for not doing it.  I have been on the recieving end of that and it is...un-cool.  

But all that aside, I think I am more proud of myself for actually getting my interest piqued and following through with doing something about it.  That is what I would want my message to be.  If you find something that seems interesting or makes you curious...give it a try!  Get excited about it.  Try it.  It may flop, and you can laugh over the debacle.  It may be wonderful and you will have something new and useful and fun!  
I am not a naturally creative person who enjoys making things out of nothing.  I can barely even hang pictures in my house or pick coordinating throw-pillows.  Whether it be a mason-jar light fixture or refurbishing something...or homemade cleaning products.  I would just rather buy it and be done with it.  But somewhere deep inside me is this untapped version of myself.  And when it pokes its head out from the rock it has been hiding under, I take advantage of it and get REALLY excited about it.  Ben can attest.  I was literally skipping down the aisles of Whole Foods as we were gathering the ingredients for my new project (My word, they have EVERYTHING!)  I was giddy and wanting to send pictures to anyone who would be as excited as I was.

So deodorant may be the last DIY thing I do for a while.  Or maybe it will start a whole new string of DIY things and I will be the crunchiest housewife you ever saw.  I may even use cloth diapers on my future babies (this may be the biggest indication I've converted).  

Here are some pictures, cuz it really was neat to be actually creating something that I normally just buy.  


Melted the Shea Butter and Coconut Oil


Stirred in the Baking Soda and Arrowroot


It got nice and mixed and smooth


Poured it into my tin
(The Container Store is a phenomenal place too, Fyi)


Now its all ready to harden and use. 


My ingredients (minus the Baking Soda)
I used lemon Essential Oil as my smell as Ben is going to try it too and I don't think Lavender is really his thing...
I got the recipe from Wellnessmama

3T-Coconut Oil
2T-Shea Butter
3T-Baking Soda
2T-Arrowroot
3-4 drops of Essential Oil (More or less depending on how strong you want the smell)

Melt the CO and SB in a double boiler or glass jar in a pan of water
Remove from heat and stir in BS and A until well mixed
Mix in your EO
Put in a container and let set.  
You can refrigerate it, or it will harden on its own.  
CO will liquify at 76 F.

I have it on right now and it seems to be working?  I don't know, as I am not really sweating at this point.  More on the outcome later.  
It was super simple to make, and I love the feeling of ownership...like, I made that.  It's really cool.  Maybe the effect wouldn't be as big if I did this kind of thing more often.

Anyway, thanks for sharing my DIY experience! 
Tell me about any fun DIY experiments you have done!  
Or any good store-buys that no matter how many DIY testimonials you've read, you will just keep buying.  I have plenty of those, trust me. 





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, that was no wobbly step into the world of 'crunchy-organic-DIY'...it was a glorious dance! Good for you Suzy! Thanks for not making me feel guilty for my roll up "Secret" under arm care! Just know I wouldn't touch the mac-n-cheese with hot dogs!

-John and Amy said...

Ooh I want to make some!!! Every now and then the crunchy side of me comes out too and I enjoy it for the day it lasts, then I go back to being too lazy to be too creative.

Carol and Doug said...

Sounds fun, Suzy.
Just so you know, if you ever decide to go literally crunchy, homemade granola is pretty easy! :-)