Friday, June 26, 2015

New Attitude

I know I said the next time I posted, we would be in Europe.  and yet here I am.


Today started out okay. In fact, it started out great! I didn't have to be to work until 11:30, which means I got to sleep in, make a delicious smoothie, check things off our list of pre-trip preparations and have a good conversation with the neighbor.  And then I got in the car to drive to work, totally unaware of what was lying underneath the surface.

I put my music on shuffle (which I rarely do-It means skipping all the songs I don't want to hear for the one random one that sounds good).  No song was really jiving with me...and then I got to a classic.  As the familiar notes started, I got that layer of warmth that sort of settles over you when you  encounter something nostalgic.

Immediately I was taken back to many moments in my childhood that were marked and shaped by this song.  This song reminded me of countless conversations about morality, life choices, and opened  my eyes to the sadness and brokenness of this world, outside my little bubble.  This song is associated with my knowledge of many terms that would not have otherwise popped up in my relatively sheltered life.  And in some way, this song is an Ebenezer of sorts, a monument for that time when my heart really was tugged to help people who were hurting.

"Somehow the wires uncrossed, the tables were turned, never knew I had such a lesson to learn. I'm feeling good from my head to my shoes. Know where I'm going and I know what to do. I've tidied up my point of view, I've got a new attitude."

And right then and there I started tearing up.

I'm not sure if it was the nostalgia.  It could have been.  In that moment I really, really just wanted to go back. To be in the car with my mom, hashing through life issues.  I miss those moments.  It also could have been the realization that there are things I don't have a good attitude about and I really do need to tidy up my point of view.  It might have been because I am grateful for all the ways my attitude has been tweaked and changed over the years and I have had that moment of feeling good from my head to my shoes. 

Whatever it was, it was connected to some strong emotions.  And no matter when I listen to that song, it always seems to hit me at the right moment. 


For those of you in the dark about what I'm talking about...the song I'm referring to is "New Attitude" by Patti LaBelle. It is the theme song from a talk show hosted by one Dr. Laura Schlessinger.  That woman was firey, opinionated, both conservative and edgy, didn't pull punches...and full of some really amazing insight.  People would call her show with "moral dilemmas" ranging from family relationships, kid problems, marriage issues, work situations...you name it, it was talked about.  She wrote books titled "Bad Childhood, Good Life" and "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands."  (Actually I read that latter title when I was about 17...and learned a LOT about how to have a healthy relationship with my future husband.  And the former title has been something I refer to whenever I talk to someone who had a really bad and messed up childhood and is either not letting it weigh them down or is using it as an excuse to stay stuck.)
She was Jewish, but didn't have a religious agenda.  Interestingly, her advice and insight mostly lined up with what I believe and moral standards I believe God put in place.   
I'll admit I even used to pretend I was her and would have pretend callers who would ask me advice and I would use my oh-so-expansive bank of life experience and "answer" their questions.  

So I owe a thank you to Dr. Laura for being bold and telling people like it is.  I have used much of what she said to help when I have friends ask me advice.  
I owe a thank you to my mom for being willing to have the hard (and sometimes uncomfortable) talks with me about life and choices and morality.  She never missed a learning opportunity, and allowed me to explore what I thought about various topics, adding her wisdom and what the Bible says.  Her openness about certain "taboo" concepts was also helpful. I learned things like what "shacking up" meant, and why it isn't good.  She always answered my questions, no matter how uncomfortable it might have been.  
I also owe a shout-out to any of my friends who may have been in our car from 12-2 on any given day...because you probably got a dose of Dr. Laura, Jody-style too ;)  

Funny thing is, I called and told my mom about it, and she said, "Really? That song 'shaped your childhood'?"  I explained what I wrote here and it made sense to her.  At the time, it was just what we did... But she remembers those moments too...and she deserves to know how much they impacted me and how grateful I am! 

Anyway, those are just some thoughts I had and wanted to share.  I do recommend her books...as they do have some really great insights.  And look up the song too, it's a fun one...and the music video is pretty entertaining too =) 

Au Revoir! 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you made your dad tear up with this one! And just for the record, I didn't always agree with Dr. Laura...but like you said, I did appreciate the candid way she went after hard topics. She gave us a platform for navigating important territory in your younger years! Didn't you and Kaeli write responses to one of her calls for an assignment one time? I haven't heard her for many years...wonder if she's still doing her thing!?