Tuesday, October 20, 2015

life: readjusted

Two and a half weeks in to this whole parenting thing, and I still can't believe this is my new reality.  Honestly, it has been really good and I am really blessed.  Of course it is not without its challenges, but I don't feel overwhelmed [yet] and for that I am grateful.  

So, some updates...

Asher: Oh this sweet, beautiful, perfectly made little boy.  He has stolen our hearts so completely.  He just had his 2-week doctor's visit and everything looks really good!  He is up about a pound above his birth weight, which is super great.  He is average on height/weight ratio and length and head circumferance.  His cord stump fell off on Friday and the little wound left behind is healing well.  Overall, we have a strong, healthy, growing boy and we praise God for that!  
Common questions we get include his sleeping habits.  Again, not without its challenges, but not overwhelming either.  He naps a ton during the day, with little 30-45 minute awake periods sprinkled throughout.  So Ben and I desired and prayed for a little boy who loved to snuggle.  And that prayer was answered.  This boy so loves being in our arms and held close, that it is making sleeping at night a bit tricky.  If he is in a deep enough sleep, he will sleep in his little bassinet for several hours at a time.  Otherwise, he just wants to be near us.  His all-time favorite is to lay on Ben's chest...it calms him pretty much instantly [super adorable, by the way].  Sometimes the only way for all of us to get sleep is for Asher to sleep on Ben's chest.  Somehow, Ben is able to sleep that way, semi-propped up, for a few hours between feedings.  Basically every night is a little different, and we are figuring it out.  
He eats great (obviously gaining weight) and poops on the regular...so all of those systems are working right.  And when he isn't snoozing, he is gazing all around him, taking in the world with his serious gaze.  

Me: I am doing really well too, all things considered.  Aside from some random weeping spells (sometimes the sunset is too pretty, I miss my parents, the baby is beautiful, showers feel amazing and my husband is so sweet...all tear-inducing situations, of course), I haven't really experienced the post-baby blues. I have been really intentional about getting out of the house several days a week, even if its just for a walk around the neighborhood.  That definitely helps.  I am sort of in a waiting period for my body to get back to "normal."  I am still experiencing some of the effects from my marathon of pushing and only recently have my back and shoulder muscles gotten to a point of not aching and burning every waking [and sleeping] moment.  

Us:  I'll admit one of my biggest fears was how this would affect Ben and I.  We had a good thing going, and I so didn't want to lose it.  And while we have had to make some adjustments, it hasn't been too terrible yet.  We have acknowledged that it is easy for Asher to become the center of our world, and we have to be intentional about not letting our priorities get too out of whack.  Last night there was a showing for our house (our landlord is selling the duplex...long story), and so we took the opportunity to have a little date night.  Asher slept pretty much the whole time, and so we were able to have conversation, laughs, hand-holding and it felt really good to reconnect again. 

We took a trip to IL this past weekend for Ben's cousin's wedding.  Asher slept pretty much the whole way there and back, with the exception of a few feeding times along the way.  The time there was enjoyable and not stressful at all.  We loved seeing extended family and having them meet Asher for the first time...especially Ben's grandpa Warren, who inspired Asher's middle name.  

I find myself turning to the Father with a thankful heart many times during my day.  we have been so incredibly blessed each step of this journey.  Sometimes it is hard to soak up these good moments, because it almost seems too good.   I keep waiting for something really difficult or devastating to happen.  I have to be purposeful about accepting the gift of the present and rely on grace for the future.  I know the road won't always be smooth...that is life in a broken world.  But I do know who holds tomorrow, and I know my child (and I) can face uncertain days because He lives.  

Here are some moments from the past week or so.  


Dog introductions went well.  Sierra sniffed him, licked his hand and head a few times and then pretty much left him alone.  As you can see in this picture, she seems 
 pretty nonchalant.  Her indifference was also fueled by pouting because she saw she had been replaced as Queen Bee.


But even though she pretends she doesn't care, she will still position herself in protective places while he is sleeping or crying.  



Ben wrote me this super sweet note on our whiteboard.  love him. 



Gave our little guy a faux-hawk.  I mean, he has the hair, might as well have some fun with it!  
He has got great sleeping facial expressions.  


Asher meeting his cousins Maria, Hanna and Eva.  They were so sweet with him.  


Great-Grandma Dolores and Great-Grandpa Warren



Ben's Great-Aunt Joanne.  


One of his favorite sleeping positions.  cute little monkey-bum =) 


His awake stare.  Just looking at everything and taking it all in.  Also done very seriously...

well that is all for an update.  He is feeding right now and it so happens I only have one hand available which makes typing difficult...so I shall sign off for now!!


2 comments:

Adrienne Waibel said...

agh! He's so precious! Glad you and Ben are doing well. Blessings on your sweet family :)

Anonymous said...

Suz,
So thankful to hear things are going well adjusting to little Asher! Overdue congratulations! I enjoy the updates through your Mom. Prayers continue with you.
Stephany