Friday, January 27, 2017

A Mama's Gut

Vaccines.  

There.  I said it.  Whew.  Now that the word is out of the way I can get to sharing.  Some of you might combine the title with that word and be inwardly cheering.  Some of you groaning and shaking your head.  Either way, maybe just hear me out.  Or don't.  You can leave the blog.  I guess I really don't care.  I'm not a career blogger.  But I digress...

So one of the joys of motherhood is the sudden and overwhelming power to make decisions for you wee little bundle of squishiness.  It sounds fun.  Finally we can put into practice all the stuff we've been secretly compiling while judging the parents around us.  We are experts.  We know exactly what we'll do and how we'll do it.  And it WILL go exactly as planned.   I know that mindset well.  I was one of those.  Kind of. 
But when the reality of such power sinks in, it shifts from empowering to terrifying.  At least it did for me.  And I'm pretty darn confident.   

The point of all of this is...vaccines.  That one got me.  Got me big time.  I have a fair amount of anti-vax friends.  And many more pro-vax friends.  Then, being the free-thinking individual I am, decided to do my own research.  

Enter Mom-Blogs (Totally not like this one, promise...lol).  

Oh the Mom-Blogs.  Passionate, loving, opinionated, defensive, articulate women.  On a mission for the good of their babies.  And the opinions they share?  Oh those span a vast, expansive range.  Like, here to the MOOOOON.  And everything in between.  

The only consistent theme was fear.  People were trying to prove their points with fear.  If you vaccinate, you risk injury and reaction and DEATH (maybe not literally).  If you don't, you risk injury, disease and DEATH (again, maybe not literally).  But they sure had your kids (and you) paying the price.  How is a new mom supposed to decide anything when both parties are adamant?  

After months of angst, tears, calls to my mom, prayers with Ben and journaling, I made a decision that worked for my conscience.  We decided to space out Asher's shots, and not get some of them.  I did my research and saw what each one was for and what they prevented, and decided.  I got a lot of mixed reactions from people who found out.  But I had to do what worked for me.  

And honestly?  Even then, I worried and fretted all up until the appointments where I either got him shots or didn't.  And then I left the clinic praying ferociously--yes ferociously--that nothing would happen to my sweet baby.  I would watch to make sure he was still smiling the next day.  Responsive.  Not dying of a disease.  Or dying of a reaction.  It was horrible

But the ones I fought the most?  The doctors.  I've had two now.  And both have belittled me.  Made me feel stupid.  Laughed at me.  Threatened me.  And tried fear.  

"Don't you know there is absolutely no reason to delay any of these?" 

"We are doctors, we have the education."

"If you take your baby into the ER with whooping cough, don't come crying to me." 

*When I declined the Rotovirus vaccine: "If you lived in the South with limited medical access, then your baby could die of dehydration."

"Oh, looks like you are refusing vaccinations.  Do you know how dangerous that is?" 

"Your baby could get meningitis and die.  I've seen babies die from this."  

"I'm supposed to let you decide but there is no reason to do what you are doing."  

When I declined the Hep B vacc: "Your baby could be exposed to dirty needles here, at the clinic."  (I wanted to tell her that if that was the case then there are bigger problems than my declining of the shot...But I gave her my crazy-mom look instead).  

I have a problem list.  "Health Maintainance and refuses vaccinations."  That list is the only one the nurse looks at, so she thinks we haven't had any.  And I have to explain it.  Every. Single. Time.  

What they don't realize is the more disrespectful they are, the more I really don't want to listen to them.  

Needless to say, I'm shopping for Doctor #3.  Because I shouldn't dread the doctor's office.  

All of this leads to this thing I told one doctor.  "You may think I'm crazy.  I trust you as a doctor, but I have this gut feeling as a mom, and I can't ignore that.  So I'm doing what I feel is best right now.  And that could change.  But please respect me as his mother, and I'll respect you as his doctor."   I thanked him for "having the conversation," even though he was being a jerk about it.  I was trying to validate him as a doctor in hopes he would validate me as a mom.  

{funny story, one day after some tense discussion AGAIN, he finished his exam of Asher and said under his breath, "Well he is really healthy so you're doing a good job, keep it up."  Literally, so quiet I almost missed it.  Unfortunately it was too little too late.}

So this gut feeling?  Well I've recently been introduced to some information that has confirmed some of this feeling.  
It wasn't packaged and delivered with fear.  It wasn't intended to scare me into a change.  It was merely well-researched and delivered.  It may not be the whole story, but it sure made sense to me.  So I'm slowing down and taking it into consideration.  

Mercury poisoning.  

I won't go into all the stuff I learned.  But even though the vaccinations supposedly have mercury removed, there are still some with "trace amounts"  of thimerosal (ethyl mercury).  It is a preservative. That is its only function.  And it is toxic.  To take it out would mean a loss in money for some big pharmaceutical companies as they would need to resort to single-doses and different production practices. 
 There are obviously still two sides of the story.  And even looking online, I only saw things like "Such small amounts, this vaccine should be considered free of thimerosal."  Much of the available science denies the presence and effect of thimerosal on babies.  And yet, they are the reputable people.  
But it all made sense.  A lot of the history of vaccinations and why thimerosal came into being.  And the results of mercury poisoning which are identical to many health problems that currently  face too many of our children today.  And there was a distinct spike in these health problems when this was added to vaccinations.  

Anyway, this leads me to where I am now.  Aware.  Researching.  Asking doctors for vaccination inserts to read ingredients.  Asking for single-dose shots.  Being driven by facts and research not fear.  No more hysteria. 

I am not anti-vaccination.  It is obvious that it has helped our country eradicate many harmful and deadly diseases.  I have gotten many for Asher, though spaced out more than the recommended schedule.  However, I am against mercury poisoning.  And I encourage any mama to do some research about mercury poisoning with regards to vaccinations specifically.  I share this not to cause a conflict.  I'd love to hear (kind) feedback of you moms and your experiences.  Doctors you have that may be different than mine.  Your gut feelings.  I want dialogue that can lead to understanding and learning from each other's experience and smart brains.  Without all the shaming and fear and harsh words.  

I think this is an important conversation because I KNOW I'm not the only mom who has struggled over this decision.  And I don't think fear should be a motivator from either direction.  We need to make informed decisions that we are comfortable with.  And then trust our babies into God's capable hands.  I cannot add one day to Asher's life by fretting over these decisions the way I have.  I am here as a steward.  I've been given the gift and honor of raising this boy.  I don't want to miss out on the joy because I'm scared every decision I make will make or break him.  

What I know is that we are all motivated by love for our kiddos and I think that warrants some rational thought and confident decisions.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

You have embarked on a difficult journey. Mothering has never been tougher nor more disrespected than it is today. If you doubt this, just look at how folks are responding to Melania Trump putting her little boy's life first and refusing to uproot him.

I respect and admire your efforts and courage to read and research vaccines. Few people are aware of the "trace amounts" exception to vaccine reporting or the fact that thimerasol accumulates in the body. Good for you for digging deeper.

You are right. Vaccines are not a one size fits all nor an all-or-nothing proposition. Praying for your continued wisdom and beautiful mothering of Asher. And praising God for your courage to blog on this highly divisive topic--although why seeking research and exchange about vaccines should be controversial is beyond me.

Jenny said...

Hi Suzy, I enjoy reading your blog- I’m not sure when I first came across it, hopefully that’s not too stalker-ish. :) I should start with the disclaimer that I don’t have your gift of words- I write like a scientist, terse, short, not a lot of emotion conveyed. So this is neither an endorsement nor an attack. I also tend to see things as very black and white since I am a scientist and that totally colors my point of view.
My biases: My kids are all vaccinated on schedule although we skip hep b at birth and the flu shot because it seems unnecessary (not 100% effective and our lifestyle is not one where we are in contact with the immunosuppressed). I also get a little bit (ok, a lot) worked up about misinformation, whether it’s about breastfeeding, or science, or “health food,” or MLM, or…. Basically some days I just have to stay away from the internet. :) Oh, and I have a degree in Chemistry.
To chime in on the mercury issue…. Methyl mercury and Ethyl mercury at two VERY different compounds. They both contain mercury, but it’s kind of like Table salt (NaCl) and Bleach (NaClO) both contain Sodium and Chlorine but have COMPLETELY different chemical and physical properties. There have been several studies done that show that Ethyl mercury (preservative) is eliminated from the body fairly rapidly, while methyl mercury (in fish) can build up over time. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21252391
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18245396 The dose makes the poison, and micrograms per milliliter concentration that used to be in vaccines is well below the threshold for mercury poisoning- if ethyl mercury stayed in your body, and studies show that it doesn’t. You are still more at risk for mercury poisoning from fish than vaccines.
I also found this article interesting on vaccination spacing- https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are-recommended-childhood-vaccine-schedules-evidence-based/ It says in part, “Consider also the primary vaccination schedule for infants. The EPI schedule recommends immunization at 6, 10, and 14 weeks in central Africa based on the early burden of vaccine preventable diseases and the need for efficient vaccine delivery when infants are most accessible. In contrast, the primary schedule in North America and much of Europe is 2, 4, and 6 months; in these populations, the lower risk of acquisition of many infectious diseases and better access to care permit vaccination to be incorporated into established well child visits through the first six months of life.” Which leads me to believe that spacing is less absolute than some doctors act like. :)
I have found that going to the actual source allays so many of my fears. Reading mom blogs does not… because well, like you said, we care about our children and are afraid of being the cause of any harm to them so everything is based more on emotion than rational fact. So many bloggers are operating out of fear on both sides- fear of vaccine harm and fear of really scary diseases; they forget that doctors and scientists are people with families too. So while I think that google and bloggers can be a start to finding information, if they aren’t citing papers and studies published in Peer reviewed Medical or Science Journals I would take the information they present with a grain of salt. At best the information is second hand, at worse it’s somebody with no knowledge of immunology or pathology presenting their opinions and fears with little basis in fact. (Although I personally am bored completely stiff by reading research papers, they are the best sources.)
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. :) Just wait ‘til he’s riding a bike and there are cars…. Whole new level of fear to conquer!
Jenny K

Anonymous said...

Ok, Jenny McCarthy

heysoos said...

Jenny, I appreciate your thoughts on this! Like I said, I'm continuing my research, and so I appreciate your input as a scientist, mom and fellow-thinker ;)

In response to the mercury types: Some of the information I found mentioned the difference between the two. But they cited a study with monkeys where they did blood/brain comparisons with both intramuscular ethyl mercury and oral methyl mercury. What they found was that while it gets moved out of the blood stream quicker, it stays in the brain longer. And up to 86% of ethyl mercury ( in its inorganic form) stays in the brain after exiting the bloodstream. And according to the study, they don't yet know the affects of the inorganic form on the brain. Which to me, doesn't do much to allay my concerns.

Here is linked the summary of that study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1280369/

I do try to base my research on factual studies. Problem is that there are conflicting studies. The information that has cast some doubt on the CDC for me came from a lead scientist on one of those studies from INSIDE the CDC. It may be easy to write him off as crazy or disgruntled or whatever...but the things he pointed out aren't illogical and I think deserve some thought.

As far as spacing and such...I had one doctor tell me that they are really pushing for everyone to get the Hepatitis shots so young because they are afraid that parents won't bring their kids back, or that if people don't get them as babies they won't come back as adults and get them, when they really need them. That made me question the actual necessity of babies getting those shots on the schedule they laid out.

I'm kind of rambling now. Just some more thoughts on my journey!



Bec said...

I know you and I have talked about this previously and are very similar in our vaccination practices - I like how you've laid our your thoughts on the matter and I appreciate your sharing the information about mercury. I agree that it's not widely known and that a lot of moms don't even think they have a choice. I'm praying you find a good pediatrician who, even if he or she doesn't "support" your choice, will treat you respectfully. I was so grateful for my first pediatrician who recommended traditional vaccine schedules but always told me at the end of any visit "you're doing a great job." I think unless there is some abuse or neglect present, that's what pediatricians should say to moms :)

Jenny said...

Fascinating! It will be really interesting to see what future research on ethyl mercury shows... I love science. :P
I hope you find a great Pediatrician too! Around here it seems like the Pediatricians that are more open to skipping/ spacing vaccines are also pushing some combination of "Natural" or pseudo-science based methods and products. (which I view as borderline or outright quackery- what can I say, I'm a scientific skeptic!) So I'm not sure where I would go if I was uncomfortable or felt unsupported- why can't there be a happy medium?? :)