Monday, July 11, 2011

libertad!

So on one specific day that has been significant for around 200 years, the country collectively recognizes freedom. Stores stick out their red, white and blue items. car lots have their "SUMMER SALE! EXPERIENCE THE FREEDOM OF A NEW CAR" sales. there are special deals on soda, chips and hot dogs. road side stands advertise sparklers and other firecrakers.

And all of this celebration is because of freedom. our country's freedom. Now, I'm not going to go into a whole history lesson. And I'm gonna be honest with you. the historical connotations of freedom really only cross my mind when my uncle mentions it before the dinner-time prayer. But hey, I'll take it. I enjoy a nice celebratory holiday just like anyone else.

This year, my 4th of July turned into a 3rd, 4th and 5th of July celebration. Lots of cousins, food, swimming, games of mafia, trampoline games, ping-pong tournaments, finger jello, bean-bag toss, hugs, laughter, singing, water fights, beach trips, store runs and everything else in between.


My adorable cousin Nathan.


All the boy cousins trying to fit on one tube. it worked.



Singing around the piano quite enthusiastically. I think lil' cousin Edie is feeling the Spirit move ;)



Freedom has impacted my life in another significant way. I am now currently jobless. As many of you know, I have been steadily employed by a restaurant for the duration of my college career. And now life is moving on and so am I. After much deliberation with my boss, we decided that it was impossible for me to stay employed and go on my upcoming road-trip. And so my future changed.

*quit job
*go on month-long road trip
*have no responsibilities other than to live, be free and spend my savings wisely
*come home
*look for jobs

and that is all I have planned. and honestly, it feels great.

Anyway, back to being done with work. Honestly, it was bittersweet. I have made some pretty close friends. And while I'm sure I'll stay in touch with some, it is not the same as working along side them. There are also those I won't be seeing again. Being the relationship building kind of girl that I am, this tends to leave me with a deep sense of sadness.

So I was in a sort of denial up until my last day. And my wonderful co-workers surprised me and got me a beautiful cake and flowers and there were hugs and i think a few tears. =)


(they even knew to get red-velvet and not chocolate!)



Me and my girls. My friend Ana draws these cute lil' characters on the white-board at work. It represents us all quite well!


I had a little notebook that I had people write notes in so I could remember them. This is one from one of the cooks. While it was challenging at times to get them to write in it, it is so worth it. I love words, and will cherish this book.

Anyway...I am jobless, living with my parents and about to become a vagabond on the highways and bi-ways of this country. And I couldn't be more excited about that. I'll keep updates coming as I am able!

And as a parting reminder,

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."
[galations 5:1]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzy,
If on this upcoming road trip you find yourself near Peoria, give me a call! I'd love to have you come visit or at least meet for lunch or something.
Carol Blunier

heysoos said...

I am planning on being in Roanoke around the 29th... so I'd love to at least stop in and see you/share a meal! I'll let you know when I have some free time! =)

Anonymous said...

Suz...mi casa es su casa. Come visit us in IL!

Exciting times! Hard to think of you not working there anymore. Strange infact...

Dan L

=Drew said...

yeah, yeah, it's all nice, but i wanna know how i can get one of those cute little In-n-Out hats! =P