Tuesday, August 23, 2011

home.

there are songs written about it. everyone from...

John Denver: "Ain't it good to be back home again..."

to

Diddy: "I'm coming home...coming home. Tell the world I'm coming home."

to

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's: "Home is wherever I'm with you."

to

A Hymn Writer: "There is beauty all around, when there's love at home."

And let me tell you...I have come to appreciate this concept of home so much! (it will be touched upon later)

In case you haven't figured it out, I have returned from my Month (and six days) excursion across the country. When thinking about writing this blog, it seemed a bit daunting. I haven't updated since the beginning of the month, and I didn't know how I would fit all of those stories and pictures into one blog without being overwhelmed.

So...i decided not to. (write about the last few weeks of my trip).

That does not mean i cannot summarize. but it will be a TRUE summary. not a typical Suzy-Summary (which can range anywhere from a few descriptive sentences to a detailed narrative.)

Bullet points normally keep me from rambling. normally.

i decided to summarize so that we'll actually have something to talk about when I see you. Spilling it all on my blog makes conversations with people go like this.

Person: "Aw hi Suzy! How are you doing!?"
Me: "Hey! I'm doing really well! Just got back from an AMAZING road trip!"
Person: "Oh yeah! I read all about it on your blog! it sounded so fun!"
Me: "...oh cool! yeah...that was pretty much it!"
*awkward silence*
Person: "And I read about what you plan on doing this fall too! Sounds like a great plan!"
Me: "Yup...pretty excited about it."
*awkward pause*
Person: "Well it was really great to catch up with you... Keep posting blogs, i love the updates!"
Me: "You too!"
(i silently wonder if my writing is that much better than my conversation so that people would rather read about it via blog instead of talking to me about it. trust me people, i'm much more animated in real life...)

then i go home and blog stalk them.

  • Gateway woods volunteering- fantastic and amazing. great people. hard work. heart benefits from serving.
  • poison ivy- one of the worst experiences of my life. lots of no-sleep nights. lots of medication. my legs and feet have lots of scars now.
  • Gateway woods Sale- I never cease to be amazed at how incredible this event is. teamwork. people. fellowship. money flowing like it was never an issue. lemon shake-ups being sold for $50 a cup. phenomenal. like always.
  • Meeting with Chief Probation Officer of Allen County-This was a great experience. but it helped me realize that i was made for LA and it was made for me.
  • Family Vacation-Bullet point can't do it justice. but i'm being committed to my style here. it was so great. adorable niece started walking. puppykins loves her auntie Suzy. everyone got along. lots of water sports. lots of AMAZING food. inside jokes. memories. i love my family so SO much.
  • Trek Home-My great friend Kaits offered to drive home with me. we decided to push through. I left Byron Center, MI at 9:34 am on Sunday morning. Drove to Chicago. picked up Kaits. we left pretty immediately and we arrived at my home at 4:07 pm on Monday afternoon. Simon stayed healthy. We took turns sleeping and driving. we are road warriors.

And with that...I am home.

Only Kaits can truly attest to how excited this made me. Every sign for Pasadena made me yelp in excitement. Everytime I'd give it just a moment of thought, I'd squeal and smile super big. Don't get me wrong...i have loved my trip immensely. I just love home more.

I love the familiar. the streets I can drive on without a GPS. the old Armenian ladies that walk up and down the streets. the neighbor's awesome burn-notice-esque charger. the buildings. all things that I know.

There are so many places i want to go and see. People i need to catch up with. foods I need to eat. AHHH!!!

Being home is good for my heart. it settles me. It is a gift God has given me to remind me that he loves me. Because sometimes I forget. So I am going to now learn not to take advantage of this gift. I will learn to relish the little details of my life that bless me. Decide that when there are challenges and difficulties that I will look for the reminders of his Love.

And now to start life! =) thank you for all your prayers, love, hospitality, texts, facebook comments, hugs, etc... during my trip.

Au Revoir!

p.s. if you DO blog-stalk me (no judgment, cuz I do it)/read my blog, please comment! Just say hi. or "read by me." or whatever. I don't care if we don't know each other well (or at all) and you feel creepy! I like to know who reads my blog, so those conversations in person that might happen some day where i'm rambling on about my life and you ALREADY KNOW IT can be avoided. (fair warning: i might still ramble. that's just me. but the chances are SLIGHTLY SMALLER knowing you've read it already.)
'kaythanks.

13 comments:

Amanda K said...

hi. it's me, amanda. your cousin. i'm in class and bored and so i'm reading your blog. . . and learning about your life, since it seems we like never talk. i might have to go to california so i can create some awkward moments where i know everything about your life. miss you and love you and i hope you have a wonderful first week back.

Katie May said...

i read your blog.
why? oh...idk. 'cause i love you and like to keep tabs on my suzyface.
and 'cause i know that just because i know all there is to know about latest happenings, it's very VERY unlikely we'll ever run out of things to talk about.

ok,that'sall.<3

Tifani said...

present! ; )

did you get your turtle back??

Celine Breault said...

Lol I love it..keep blogging!..Celine from Mimi's Cafe =)

=Drew said...

i didn't read any of this. ;)

jody said...

moms read blogs just to keep in touch with the side of their kids they sometimes miss. that's me! welcome home! now we settle into life with a left-the-nest-but-came-back-home-for-a-while kid! that's you! welcome home!

Anonymous said...

I read your blog...I like your writing style and your fun personality.

Ry said...

I read your blogo, hoping that I'd be mentioned in the "awesome things that happened at Gateway Woods" section. But I was thoroughly disappointed. So, no guarantees that I'll read this next time.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Suzy,
I read your blog and would LOVE details, as those face to face conversations happen about once a year!!
So, what ARE your plans for fall that you so artfully alluded to but didn't actually name?
Carol Blunier

Kaitlyn I said...

love it!!! fellow road warrior. love you girl - hope traffic wasn't too harsh on you!

Anonymous said...

hey Suzy, I am a big fan. Keep up the good work.

Love,
Oprah.

heysoos said...

Manda- thanks for reading the blog =) love you and miss you!

Katie May- i love you lots! and i love we can always talk about anything!

Tif- I am working on getting the turtle back. I think Joey has it at school! thanks for sending it!

Celine- thanks for reading =) i miss work a lot!

Drew- yea...right =)

mumzy- thanks for welcoming me home! love you!

Anonymous- glad you enjoy it! thanks for reading!

Ry- since you never know when you'll be mentioned...you might as well keep reading. just sayin'

Carol- i will be living at home in the fall. working at a restaurant and interning for more experience before applying for my "real job" It was great seeing you this summer! hugs to the kiddos!

Kaits- traffic was...eh...Los Angeles ;) love ya!

Oprah- thanks for your comment and I'm glad you enjoy reading!

Bec said...

I (obviously) blog stalk people too . . . it fills the facebook-shaped hole in my life :) Fun to see your comment today. I've been missing you this summer even though I haven't been in touch. Want to come over and swim soon?? Glad you're back!