Monday, December 12, 2011

C# minor

That is my favorite chord. I cannot explain this very well... but whenever I play it on the piano, it just fits with my inner-musical-heart. like intertwining fingers. I was playing a song on the piano tonight that had that chord in it...and whenever I would play it, my insides just sighed and i think they smiled too.

ugh, that sounds so weird. its really challenging trying to explain what fitting music feels like.

Anyway. this is sort of a random, semi-informative blog about my life. with pictures. Lots of pictures. you're welcome.


First off, several weeks ago, I went to my Aunt and Uncle's house for dinner, when they had all their local kids and grandkids over. SO much fun...lots of lively energy. And here are some pictures.


Princesses J & S showing off their princess collection. they play so well together!



The ever-growing Fischer! Pretty content to sit on the ground with a water-bottle.




Post-dinner Bible stories on Grandpa's lap. Sweet moment.




Sibling love!



~~~~~~~~~

Now we skip ahead to the most epic wind-storm EVER. Almost every fall, Southern California experiences the Santa Ana winds, created by the Santa Ana pass. Normally they can get brisk, and are warm-ish and are one of my favorite features of living here. But this year, it was like living "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." Seriously. It started on a wednesday night at Bible study. it went from breezy to stormy in a half hour. then the power went out. and it continued all through the night. It felt like our house would blow down. I have never heard such howling wind. I kept expecting Giant Hamburgers to be rolling down the street. Or a humongous pickle to land in my roof. Or to see the schools covered in monstrous pancakes.

Here is the aftermath. They said the winds were anywhere from 57-97 mph in places. Hurricane status. My dad has lived here his whole life (it's a lot of years...but i'll keep it vague for his sake ;) and he has never seen anything this bad. They condemned houses, power was out for close to a week in some areas, people's cars were smashed, monumental trees that had stayed standing for decades were toppled...it was epic and ridiculous.


A Magnolia tree limb in the middle of the road, down the street from my house. Turns out, Magnolia's and Palms are some of the messiest or precarious trees for a storm. pines are messy too.



The Base of a Palm that just snapped off.



And the top of the same palm that snapped off.




This was the front of our house. this shows the minimal amount of junk there was everywhere. but it was pretty thrashed.



Our beloved Acorn tree in the front yard started pulling up the grass and leaning to one side. So we thought we'd try and save it by driving Simon over the grass to tamp it down. It didn't make it lean back the right way, but it IS still standing. ish. with a lean.

Overall, it was a crazy experience. there are a lot more pictures online...these are just mine I took. It really gave me a glimpse into the power of God. I mean, that wind was no joke. and we are at the mercy of God...because there is no controlling those elements.


~~~~~~~~~

On to a tragic story from Indiana. *disclaimer: There is no one to blame for the following incident. it was an accident and could happen to any average Tom, Dick or Harry. Just sayin."

We were singing in the basement. about to start the last verse of "It is Well." Kaitlyn runs down the stairs yelling something, but the singing is too loud we can't hear her. Many of us were wondering how she could be so rude as to interrupt our worship. she runs over and yells again, "THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE!"

it got real quiet, real quick. we all ran upstairs. smoke was filling the dining room. we all ran outside. i caught a glimpse in the kitchen. the table was on fire. we called 911. someone brought the burning things outside. where was the fire extinguisher? lots of yelling. too much yelling. it was really cold outside.

the remains:

Brandon's jacket caught on fire from the candles. that is what is left of it. it was a pretty swell jacket.

there was also a harmonica case that burnt. ruined like two harmonicas.


This was the table post-fire. it wasn't as bad as we first thought. still traumatizing.


~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright. This is my friend Megan.


She's awesome. No, seriously...one of my greatest friends.

Sometimes we get bored of just sitting around talking. so we do crazy stuff...like go to CVS. There's a lot more there than one would previous realize.


like a fluffy blanket for like $3 and these awesome glitter-coloring things.



#winning


Later I met up with my other dear friend from college, Azlin


We went to my old place of work and sat at the counter for about 2 hours, talking to servers, busboys and cooks. (one of which totally took care of our tab! Gracias Miguel!) But it was so great to just hang out and catch up. If I'm completely honest, I really miss working there.

and I love Azlin a lot too. She talks spanish to me and makes me practice. She's Mexican. I love anything Mexican.


~~~~~~~~~~~

Hung out with this awesome group of girls the other day


Maggie, Carissa, Amy, Me & Bethany

we went to this awesome museum thing with this cool Noah's Ark display. Everything was made out of recycled things. pretty incredible.



Like this Alligator. Made from a Violin case, a tire on the back, doorknobs for eyes, gloves covering them to give it facial expression, and it was eating part of the violin. SO creative and awesome.



This is Amy doing something awesome.


This is Bethany in the animal-food-chamber-thing. She was fascinated by the different nuts n stuff.


~~~~~~~~~~

And tonight...


YAY CHRISTMAS CARDS! no, really...I'm glad they're done. Turns out, we know a LOT of people.



So there you have it, folks. a bit of my life in pictures. Life has been good and busy. And it is only about to get busier. Almost exactly a month until I move...and I'm pretty sure I'm in denial about what packing up and leaving is going to mean. And I will probably remain that way until I'm pulling out of my driveway.

No comments: