Saturday, April 07, 2012

golden birthday

Supposedly, your golden birthday is when you turn the age of the number your birthday is on. My birthday was April 5th, therefore my Fifth birthday would have been my golden birthday. Honestly, I don't even remember my fifth birthday, so it really doesn't count. I'm going to tell you a story instead about how my real golden birthday came to be.

once upon a time, there were two little girls.



These girls were schooled at home, and when they were done with their academics and their mothers let them play, these girls had the most interesting and fascinating topics of conversation.
During once such conversation, the subject was what age was the perfect age to stop at. Being around 11 or so, every age 18 and above seemed like it was grand. But one of the little girls mentioned that 23 was the perfect age to stay at. She said she thought it seemed like just old enough to be taken seriously, but not so old that you couldn't have fun anymore. (or something like that...the details have become hazy with time.) After thinking about what her dear friend said, the other little girl realized that she had a point...and the age of 23 became somewhat of a milestone to be reached.

Well ladies and gentlemen...one of those little girls (the one who was inspired by her friend's decision) has recently turned that perfect age to stop at. The other will be there in approximately two weeks!



I never thought I'd spend my twenty-third birthday in Minnesota. But what better way to start a new year...a GOLDEN year...but on a grand adventure!

And even though I wasn't with tons of my family and friends, those family and friends I have here celebrated me quite well =)

I have a group of girls here that I get together with weekly and while our goal is to work through and study the book of Acts, sometimes we spend our time just talking and catching up on life and praying. These girls have been such a blessing to me for so many reasons. They've accepted me into their group, invited me to hang out with them and have made room for me in their busy lives.
So the tuesday before my birthday, I was supposed to lead the group in our study of Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus (deep stuff...i was excited). But I get a text saying, "Be at our house at 7 on tue. Don't worry about leading this week...just come ready to celebrate!!!"

I was intrigued and excited. When I arrived, we all got ready to leave again and walked to Grand Ave. (such a great street with fun restaurants, shops, etc... all lining it). They took me to this yummy restaurant called Brasa. My friend is in the middle of getting a cooking job there and had told me such wonderful things about it that I was so excited to try it! We ate family style and shared around yummy dishes. And at the table, they presented me with:



One of the girls, Chaz, had this awesome idea to create a card with candy on it to fill in words! Since I am not a creative person, I totally was in AWE of it and loved it so much! plus, the memories were so sweet!


they were all watching me read it and trying to read my reaction. It was funny =)



They also gave me BALLOONS!!! (which they made me carry from dinner to the ice-cream place...where there were MORE balloons waiting for us! They planned it all out so well!)


Then they gifted me with this beautiful vase of spring flowers and a delightful card with words. (I know that may sound dumb to say it was a card with words...duh it was. But you have to understand that words mean a lot to me...you can forgo actual presents if you give me words. I mean i love actual presents too...but yeah, just saying.)

Then if that wasn't enough....

my actual birthday was on Thursday and I was scheduled to work that day. my friends Crystal and Tanya (from that same group of girls) had said that when I get off, I could come over for dessert and a movie. Well that was going to be pretty late and while I had said ok, I knew that it wasn't ideal.

Well my awesome co-worker Ryan said that he would stay later for me at work and so I got sent home by like 7:45. AWESOME! I changed quick and went over to Crystal and Tanya's, where they had a candle light dinner, mood music and good conversation. AND THEN my favorite dessert EVER. Tiramisu. and a movie. it was a good night.





I didn't get pictures of this, but Friday morning I went over to J&K's for a yummy french toast breakfast with their family and then hung out with Krissa and the kidlets for the day.

Overall my birthday was well celebrated. Got close to a hundred notifications on Facebook for my birthday, which is always exciting. got lots of texts. got some cards in the mail. got a huge package from my mumzy. (who is coming to visit me next week! YAY!)



Here is my puppy Sierra, who has grown SO MUCH!


That's what she used to look like.

Well thanks for reading...and for celebrating my golden year with me! We'll see what fun and exciting things God has in store!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this picture of you and kaeli is so precious!! - Aly

Anonymous said...

someday we want "the rest of the story" behind that picture...

Katie May said...

:EWITHGLRkjfhdglziuerhtakhwergk.jdf!!!

soooooooooooo great!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree with aly..that first picture is the bees knees!