Tuesday, April 03, 2012

the title with no significance.

I am two days away from being another year older. I really can't even believe it. Birthdays come way faster nowadays and they don't seem as exciting as they once were. But somehow, 23 sounds so much older than 22. Actually, when me and my best friend were growing up, 23 was our favorite number...we figured it would be the perfect age to stay at forever. We'll see if it's that magical!

My apologies for only posting once a week. Sometimes there just isn't inspiration...and I like to wait til the photos build up, so it's at least a little enticing for you to read.

Let's start with Sierra updates. My puppy is growing by leaps and bounds. Actually maybe that's not exactly accurate...but there IS a lot of leaping and bounding going on. But I do have to say that I'm so thankful she's not a hyper puppy.

As of right now, her biggest flaw is that she is still not ok being left alone for long periods of time. I had no idea, but apparently she had been barking and whining. My neighbor across the hall graciously told the building manager about it, who told me. But then the other night, she was whining after the quiet hours, and the units below me filed a complaint...which became an official first warning. (after the first warning, you get fined). So I have decided to take Sierra with me everywhere...except work. But I have neighbors who will watch her for me. ugh...I hope this stage doesn't last too long.

This morning I got out of the shower and this is what I found...


So she peed on her mat (GOOD GIRL!!!) aaand destroyed my toilet paper. (not so good girl). I should have known...I've been keeping it on the back of my toilet, but after cleaning the loft yesterday, I must have hung it back up. Whoops. Back of the toilet shall be its home.

After I got it all rolled back up, we practiced our "Leave it" or "Dejalo" command. she went and sat down by it and gave me these mournful puppy eyes as she fought the temptation to grab it again. The cuteness may have made up for the lost feet of toilet paper.

Next thing I know, I hear some strange noise, and I see her trying to get INTO the bathtub. now that's a new one. She knows that is where she gets her baths (well, showers, actually), and she hasn't HATED them...but I didn't think she'd be eager to get back into the tub.


As I type, she's laying next to me snoozing. She is getting more cuddly without needing to bite all my body parts. I'm really coming to enjoy and appreciate her presence more and more as she learns things like sleeping through the night, peeing on her mat, coming when I call etc...

Alright, on to my days with the sweetest lil kids. (FYI, I shall here on out refer to the kidlets as "Big Sister" and "Baby Brother" =)

Yesterday was library day. We go to Baby Story time...and Big Sister gets to hang out with other little kiddos her age.


It really is a great set-up and she loves reading the little board-books and singing the songs they lead us in. (her favorite right now is "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes." She knows most of the motions on her own!


She also loves sitting on any chair-like thing she can find. She'll go, climb up and just sit there...because she can.

Today was such a fun day. Maybe cuz she was just so cute.

Krissa got her these little heart-shaped sunglasses, and Big Sister absolutely LOVES them!

Not even dressed for the day and the sunglasses are on her head.


Doing some morning dancing and singing next to Baby Brother (Yes, that is on the dining room table...whoops.


Insert cute picture of Baby Brother in his little seat.

Then we decided to go to the park...and the Sunglasses had to come...even though it was overcast and windy and cold... but hey, the weather cannot stop fashion, let me tell you.


Sierra patiently waiting to go on the walk.


Big Sister looked so cool. Honestly, her facial expressions and the casualness with which she wore them kept me smiling all day. She was so into it, and I couldn't help but laugh...discreetly. Because she didn't know she was being so stinkin' adorable!



We started swinging at the park, and it was a bit blustery, so we put up her hood. Her glasses snuck down on her nose, and she didn't push them up...she just looked out over the top of them. Sierra kept trying to get her toes as she swang.

I asked her if she wanted her blanket and she gave me the affirmative "Yah."



So we cocooned her right up, and continued swinging.

I wish I would have caught her cutest moment...we walked by a puddle and she was out of the stroller. She walked over and started stamping in it and doing her bouncing dance. Then she walked over to me to keep going...after going about three steps, she turns around and walks back to the puddle and stamps in it some more. We did this three or four times. She thought she was done, then realized she couldn't leave a treasure like the puddle behind without a few more stamps.

After I left their house, the sky cleared up and it was sunny and breezy and warm. So I went to a little park by my loft and took a nap.






Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Funny/strange story though: So I'm laying there quite obviously dozing. My eyes are closed, I'm on a blanket, my puppy is snoozing next to me...basically the message is clear: Don't come talk to me.

Well, I feel Sierra sort of sit up and so I crack an eyelid to see what grabbed her attention. Over on the sidewalk is a woman in her 50's with a fat little pug. And she's crossing over into the grass, heading toward me. I squeeze my eyes shut and think, "Pleeease do not come over here and comment on my puppy...I'm obviously resting. Who interrupts a resting person just to see their puppy?!"

Apparently this lady does.

She walks up (my eyes are still closed, hoping she'll get the message-she doesn't.)

"Ooooh what a beautiful little angel you have here!"

I roll over, mutter a "Thanks" and grab Sierra's leash as she starts to head toward the pug.

"Oooh you are just the sweetest little thing ever!? Little boy or little girl?"

"Girl." (hoping if my answers are short, she'll get the message-she doesn't.)

"Oooh what an angel! what's her name?" (seriously, she said "angel" and "ooooh" waay too many times)

"Sierra."

"Ooooh I just love that name! I also love the Sierra club!"

Haven't a clue what that is...haven't a clue why she's still here talking to my puppy AND to me, when all I want to do is sleep.

Finally, she says, "Thanks for letting me meet your puppy!"

Oh, but the story isn't over. I thought she was walking away and going to be gone. But no. As Sierra settles down a little, and I close my eyes to bask in the sunlight, I hear, "Oh yes, isn't she just the sweetest little angel?"

I open my eyes, and do a not-so-subtle roll over and look at where she is. She had gone about thirty feet behind me and was crouched down on the grass facing me on all fours next to her pug...getting as low to the ground as she could. She was staring at us, petting and talking to her pug about what an angel Sierra was. It was a little strange and discomforting. So I squeezed my eyes shut, pulled Sierra closer, and after about 5 minutes of her fawning over my dog from afar, she wandered off.

*sigh* Gotta love the variety of humanity out there!

Well tonight, I'm hanging out with some girls I met here and they are throwing a little birthday celebration for me! I'm really excited because I have to work on my actual birthday...and actually the whole weekend. So it'll be nice.

Last year on my birthday, two of my friends kidnapped me from class for the day and we had a most magnificent day together doing all sorts of fun stuff. I miss those girls...and while this year will be different, it will still be a blessing, I'm sure.

Thanks for reading and being patient with my updates...I'll try to stay a little more consistent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The park story rings a bit like a certain evening at Perkins you and I had.

Minnesota nice. Gotta love 'em. While not everyone out here is pleasant, people here are about as nice and friendly as people from LA are anonymous and straight faced.