Tuesday, June 05, 2012

always fun to leave, even better to come home.

I have decided I must go to bed at midnight tonight.  It is currently 11:13.  That being said, I am also pre-warning you that whatever state this blog is in at 12:00 am, that is the state in which it shall be posted. 

ugh, i just started downloading pics off my phone and realized it'll take a little longer.  Plus, I have a load of laundry in, and need to take care of it before I sleep.  Normally I'd leave my laundry til the morning, but it includes my towels and I must have towels in order to shower in the morning.

Ok, back on track.  my pictures are still downloading.  it's taking a while because there were some videos too.

First of all, let me say that while I love traveling, I love coming "home" even more.  (I put home in quotes because some people from california get a mite touchy about me calling MN home...)  But I really was glad to come back here.  I mean, I have a life here.  I have a job, family, a home, a dog....

*sigh*

and I can drive a fair amount of places without GPSing it.  just had to mention that.


Alriiiiight.  So now onto this past weekend.  Post-California/mexico.  I came home for TWO DAYS.  nanny-ed children, worked two shifts at work, re-packed (never really unpacked from cali), dropped my dog off at a friends, got three hours of sleep and then left for another trip.

Here is how it happened.  I have these delightful friends (who happen to be sisters).  We all road-tripped across the country last summer.  We decided we travel well together in the car.  so why not do it again, eh?

see if you can follow this.  I'll type slowly so you can get it.  I flew to Chicago to meet up with Tasha who nanny's for a family there.  Her sister heather drove from michigan to meet us.  (why did I fly, you ask? because it was cheaper than driving there.  Simon is delightful, but a gas-guzzler).  We had a girls day on Friday.  Woke up early Saturday morning and drove from Chicago to Francesville, IN.  Picked up their cousin and a friend.  the five of us then drove to Ohio where we met their other cousin and his roommate.  we hung out saturday and sunday and then drove home sunday night.  I flew out monday.  it was epic.  and here is the proof that we not only did it, but we had fun. =)

First night there, us girls got dressed up and went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant in Lake Forest, IL.  Oh my...what an experience.  We were completely patronized by our server who was an older gentleman.  I think he was trying to be funny.  but he wasn't. at all. 
After we ordered (our list of shared foods included a salad), he said, "Well now you girls can go tell your moms that you ate greens and fruits tonight with dinner!" HA. then he used the word, "demolished" to describe what we had done to our dinner.   One of the girls said I should order a drink just to prove to him that we were indeed adults.  the other girl said it was too expensive just to make a point.  I agreed.  We drank water, shared appetizers, ordered dessert, took pictures and generally enjoyed being "girls" for the night...but we DID tip the valet.  



 Upon arriving in Cincinnati, all 7 of us piled into a truck that could seat six (shhh...don't tell).  We took a tour of their cousin Randy's medical school.  Very shamancy place.  Then we went to the top of this building where you can look out over the whole city.  Here are us girls.  
(l-r: Heather, me, Tasha)

 The city was so amazing. and beautiful from that height.  The picture below is the river.  Across the river is KENTUCKY!  preeeeettty nifty. 
 it was a clear and sunny day.  Perfect for enjoying outdoors.  

These are the boys.  
(l-r: Ryan, Randy, Phil and Quentin)


 I love the way sunlight filters through clouds.  


 That evening we crossed the river to Newport, KY and hung out in the plaza, watched a magician, had some sushi and then saw the city lights.  it was gorgeous. 
 The group.  

 One of my favorite views...city lights twinkling.  mmm bonus for being next to a river it can reflect off of .  

Then we went back to Randy and Ryan's house...where we had S'mores and a fire and sang some praise songs.  

 A delicate and complex process...making S'mores. 


 Ryan likes his marshmallow's by the threes. 


 heather played guitar while we sang...then Quentin played and sang some of his own songs...and then Randy played some other praise songs for us.  (we even tried singing CW McCall's Wolf Creek Pass...but we forgot some of the words).  

 Me and Tasha enjoying the firelight.


 Ryan's stellar marshmallow roasting stance.  it helped.  supposedly. 


 The fire got a little big.  a few times. Randy was pretty proud.  


 The next morning, us girls made breakfast for the guys.  Crepes with all the toppings! 
 TEAMWORK!


 I think they appreciated it.  At least the silence and full mouths indicated as much. 


 Sunday afternoon we went mini golfing (a first time for a few of our group).  It was delightfully competitive.   I may or may not have won the $14 pool that was laid out as incentive for everyone to play their best.  

After returning back to chicago, I had a little more time before I left.  Monday, us girls went to Lake Michigan.  It was GORGEOUS. and reminded me of the beach. except for lack of waves. and fresh water. and no surfers. but whatever. You couldn't see the opposite shoreline.  that's all that matters. 
 Look at the clear, blue water/sky.


 we stopped to look at beach houses on our way home.  They are ridiculously huge and extravagant, but SO MUCH FUN!  When I grow up, get rich and retire, I'm moving to Lake Forest, IL.  


As amazing as the weekend was, I was ready to get back to my life...and my dog.  I missed her a lot!  and she's grown up so much in the past few weeks!  

Well it is 11:54, and I have pretty much finished this blog.  and I didn't stop to change the loads.  So  I'm gonna wrap this up and go do that in the six minutes I have before midnight.  

I have come to realize how blessed I am to have friends all across the country...but also here too.  God has got his hand on me and has given me such gifts.  I am learning how to not let a day go by where I don't acknowledge those gifts, thank Him and ask for help to spread some of that joy/love/peace to others! 

No comments: