Saturday, September 29, 2012

two of the real-est jobs.

This is going to be double feature blog. I started it last night.  I wasn't even going to blog last night seeing as how it was 1:02 am when I started.  

It doesn't matter anyway because I fell asleep and had to continue today.  


So I am going to tell you about my job...s.  I know if you've been following me for a while, you'll already know about where I work and that I like it a lot.  It is no secret I love serving AND love the kiddos.  I often get the well-meaning question, "So when are you going to get a real job."  *sigh*  Sorry peeps, serving IS a real job.  I work REAL hours, and make REAL money, have REAL bosses and REAL coworkers.  crazy.   Watching kids is a real job too.  REAL children, REAL meals and dirty diapers, REAL naptimes and bed-wetting and REAL cuteness.  

 I am proud to say that I may or may not have convinced a good friend that serving takes more talent than he first realized.  He kept making off-handed comments about how serving/my job is a mindless job...until I told him what the job included.  Even he admitted it might be challenging for him due to certain aspects of the job-- and he's a pretty smart fellow! (I rarely win arguments with him, so that one felt good!)  =)

As for the kidlets, well people always say, "Awww good for you! that must be SO fun!"  so that's good, I guess. 

On to the actual blog.  Things I like about job #1-Serving:

-We have this dishwasher named Bob (which is ironically my nickname from working at Mimi's in California) and he comes up with random ways to remember people's names (came up with the system after he forgot his girlfriends name and had to call her "Sugar" so she wouldn't get mad).  So he calls me...are you ready for this?  "Suzy Chapstick."  Well it stuck. Now the executive chef calls me Suzy Chapstick or Suzy-with-her-chapstick, since I carry and use chapstick frequently.  it's awesome. and a little strange.

-The lady who hired me recently went to work at a different restaurant and we got a new lad in to join our management team.  I'll be honest, I wasn't sure how things would work out with him.  Mainly because I like to be friends with my managers...and I wasn't sure we'd be friends.  But turns out, he's pretty swell.  Let me tell you, this guy has got the largest repertoire of punny jokes of anyone I've heard besides my Grampy.  And you wouldn't know it by looking at him.  If I ever come to work in a down mood (or even if I don't...), he give me his version of a pep-talk--which consists of him telling me a few of his wonderful jokes.  And low-and-behold...it works. Dad, I'll have to tell you some of them, cuz I think you'd love them and actually implement them into YOUR joke bank. 
Anyway, all that to say, he might be one of my new favorite people at work.  ;)

-One of the night cooks moved to days and so I rarely see him anymore.  On occasion he works a night shift if they need him to.  The other night we worked together and aside from the fact that he says I'm 22% fanatical about being a Christian, we had a lot of fun.  By the end of the night he said working days was so different cuz it wasn't as exciting as working at night.  and he ended saying, "Yeah I miss working with you Suzy.  In fact, as I think about it...you're probably only 14% fanatical about Jesus."  I asked him why he thought I was fanatical and he basically said that I have a narrow set of beliefs and I don't budge on them.  and I always willing to talk about Jesus or have other Jesus-type discussions.  I told him that was just believing in something and sticking with it 110%....which wasn't a bad thing, last time I checked.  He just laughed and walked away.  

-I have co-workers who give me parts of their dessert.  I got a nice piece of key lime pie the other night and last night, part of a Pear Bread Pudding.  It pays to be nice to people. and say please.  

-One of my absolute favorite people at work (and I think most people might agree with me) is C.B.  (since he's my favorite, I'll protect him and only use letters for his name).  This guy holds the position of Server Assistant (SA).  Not sure what his actual job description is, because he does pretty  much everything.  Grabbing waters and bread for tables, clearing and wiping and re-setting tables, carrying dishes to and from the back, being everywhere, ALL the time for ANYTHING you need.  He is just ridiculously focused, hardworking and the most even-keeled person I've ever met.  He's also really quiet...like a Phantom Worker.  Doesn't get involved in the work drama.  Well I decided I wanted to get to know CB a little better.  So I started asking him a question a night.  Trivial things like, "Do you ever eat?" (never see the guy eat).  Or  "What are three random things about yourself?"  Or "What's your favorite and least favorite thing about working here?" 
And That was the question that gave me the most insight into the behind-the-scenes of CB's life.  Sometimes because he is so focused on working, and he's so darn good at his job, and NEVER complains, I forget he's a person with a life and experiences and feelings and such.   Point being, I now know a little bit more about him.  And it's neat--he's a neat guy.  
Which leads me to my next point.

-I know that most people view work as work and not a place to make friends...but a place to make money.  Which is totally fine.  I just choose to view it different.  In a restaurant, you get such a wide variety of people.  Whether it be guests or co-workers, everyone is unique and has a story.  might as well get to know them, eh? So along with doing the basic take orders, run food, give awesome service...I also make a point to connect with my coworkers and guests.  I have found out the most interesting stories, worldviews, lifestyles, and even people with whom I have several things in common.  I find it fascinating, exciting and it makes going to work every day really fun.  =)


OK. Job #2:

I'll let the pictures explain it!


Since Karlina isn't allowed to touch Ender without supervision, she constantly asks to give him kisses.  It's her favorite thing.  He's always a little apprehensive because sometimes she gives really aggressive kisses.  It's a work in progress.


 This is the happy little face we see most of the day.  He's getting such a fun personality!



We do lots of snuggling, cuddling, kissing and hugging.  Doggone it if these kids won't be affectionate kids.  


I know this isn't of a kid. or of a job.  But c'mon...it's classic.  Sierra has clean water in her bowl not two feet away, and yet if given the option, she always chooses the toilet.  I finally gave up training her.  It's just too convenient.  And it reminds me to keep my toilet flushed and cleaned! =P 



I would apologize for being that Auntie who shows WAY too many pics of the cute kids.  But honestly, I'm not sorry.  He's cute.  I know it, you know it...so lets just enjoy the pics together, eh?


 See what I mean?  I know you're smiling too.  Cuz his smile is JUST that contagious!  


 Sierra is getting SO big.  Also such a fun personality.  Crazy, spazzy, sweet, ornery, and my goodness, just look at that tongue.  


 They both love playing on playsets at the park.  Sierra is just like a little kid, going down slides, following Karlina all over...it's fun to watch.  


 She also thinks she's bigger than she actually is.  Her favorite thing to do at the dog park is find oversized things (normally branches and logs) and attempt to carry them at high speed wherever she can make it to without dropping it.  This was tuesday's attempt. 




Last weekend, my friend Tanya invited us to her family's Berry Farm for a family day!  It was so fun and Karlina LOVED it.  

This is my friend, Jen.  Karlina just climbed right up on her lap and made herself comfortable. She's just like her auntie--loves people. 



 This beautiful girl with Karlina here is Crystal.  Crystal is my dear and sweet friend--and also nannies Karlina one day a week (she nannied for them too before I got here...so I met her through J&K).  She is probably one of the most compassionate women I've ever met, and has such a heart for Jesus.  J&K did well when they found her to help watch their kids!





 SUCH a beautiful farm. 


 So part of the farm is a corn maze.  Really fun.  But Karlina is such a prankster!  I was looking at the map, trying to find where to go next and she was walking behind me.  All the sudden, I turn around and she's nowhere to be seen.  It was a fear of mine that she'd get lost in the corn maze and I had visions of me racing around and around in circles getting lost and trying to find her.  Well I got a twinge of panic as I bolted back down the path the way we had just come calling her name.  I saw a flash of blue out of the corner of my eye.  She was in the corn off the path a good 10 feet. An impish grin on her face, she then started laughing and pointing at me making a fool of myself running wildly and yelling her name.  It was really cute, and funny...after the initial adrenaline wore off, that is.  She's such a goof.  I love that she's becoming a jokester.  


On the way home, she was trying to tie her shoes.  I noticed it got quiet and at a stoplight, snapped this picture.  



 Cheesos.  


 Ender's first swing ride (with me, anyway)



 "Gee-Yupp Puppy!"  Sierra was so sweet and patient to let Karlina sit on her back and "gee-yupp" and jump up and down.  


 But when she needs to be, she gets a little hardcore.  This is a friendly wrestling match between Sierra and Bandit.  They were perfectly matched and loved horsing around.  



 Ender can hold his bottle all on his own now!  



Karlina likes hoods. And aprons.  And "washing" dishes.  
Gangsta' baby homemaker.  so cute.  


Well folks...i think it's pretty apparent why I like my other job.  
Two real jobs...which I love so much.  I find many moments in my day when I shoot a little "Thank you" up--because jobs like these can only be a gift from Someone who delights in blessing me.  


4 comments:

Carol and Doug said...

You may know this, but Suzanne Chaffee was a skier in the 60s-70s who did a Chapstick commercial in which she skied up and said, "Hi, I'm Suzy Chapstick!" Being somewhat (cough cough) older than you, I didn't even think how odd that would sound to someone who wasn't born at that time. :-)
I'm glad you like both your jobs!

Anonymous said...

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8GIBmwdVs

...I'm not sure how much you have in common with the original Ms. Chapstick... but it's probably where the nick name came from! lol

Anonymous said...

Love the blog! Your new manager sounds like a doofus though, I bet he does magic trick too doesn't he ? :)

heysoos said...

@carol: he said that it came from somewhere/someone famous...but that was before my time so i didn't really know what he was talking about.

Anonymous #1: thanks for the commercial...helped shed some light on it ;)

Anonymous #2: He DOES do magic tricks...if you can call it that ;)
And I found out after writing this that on his resume it says he's a oyster shucker extraordinaire. He just keeps getting cooler =)