Tuesday, June 04, 2013

And the world spins madly on.

Being in California is like being on an extended vacation...  I'm not working, the only responsibilities I have are week-by-week commitments and wedding planning.  I get to sleep in, I get to hang out with friends and family, I get to babysit and I get to order lots of stuff online!  
It's a lot of fun. 

but then last night I was talking to Ben regarding something with Sierra (the dog) and I realized that I'm missing life back there!  As obvious as it is, it just hit me that life didn't go on hold in MN.  And it makes me feel like I'm totally missing out.  I have loved being here, but there are so many things passing me by out there. 

Spring for one...I had to endure that LONG winter and didn't even get to enjoy the change of the seasons.  That glorious time when green pops out every where.  

Sierra's maturing.  Ben is doing such a good job with her.  And not gonna lie, I felt a teensy bit replaced.  It feels like the two months he has been with her are trumping the year I've spent raising her.  She may even like him better than me. 

Family stuff. I really do miss being with Ben's family!  Don't get me wrong...i love my family dearly and am really enjoying being here with them.  In fact, it feels like I never left sometimes. =) but I miss family dinner times back there, singing, games, teasing etc...

And family also includes Mary and her family as well.  I've lived with her a few times since I moved to MN and she is one of my dear friends. and I used to go over there at least once a week to chat and catch up.  

Oh, Miss K and Enderpants.  How I miss those two.  I skype with them every once in a while, but it is NOTHING compared to squeezing their little cheeks, giving hugs and kisses and just delighting in their childlike innocence.  Even though I didn't take these, here's a few of my favorite kidlets!

 He's got that little Karlina smirk on his face.  Such a little man! 


Riding around in the "Tooper" (Krissa has a mini cooper and so for Christmas, the kids got a mini-mini.  And Karlina calls it their "Tooper") 
TOTALLY ADORABLE, RIGHT!? 
*sigh*

And finally I miss Ben.  I promise this won't be too sappy...but seriously, I think he deserves an honorable mention.  I realize that lots of people do long distance engagements and such, but after six months together, being apart for two is definitely challenging!  The time difference is inconvenient, the inability to see each other face-to-face (unless we can work out a skype session) is frustrating, the fact that I'm the third wheel when hanging out with another couple...but knowing i HAVE MY FOURTH WHEEL SOMEWHERE is kind of annoying too.  
But we were counseling with our pastor and he reminded us that God has something in this last month apart. That there may be something he wants us to learn, experience, or do that will be best apart.  Like everything else, this isn't an accident and I don't want to miss what God has for me here.  
and BAM, right after that, I got an opportunity to speak to the teenage guys at church next weekend.  I really do feel that God has his hand on this season, and as much as I just want to be married already, His timing is perfect!  

Ok, enough of my sad lamentings.  On to pictures! 




Ah how I love this view.  The backyard at about 7:00 pm...love that my parents mainly eat dinner on the porch almost all year round! 


 Saw this stamp and it made me laugh, so I thought I'd share it.  


 Ben sent me this picture of Sierra.  No, she's not dead.  That's just how much she's calmed down in the last two months living with Ben.  Maybe a laid back caregiver is just what she needed! 


 Went Bike riding the other day.  Saw all the gorgeous jacaranda trees, mountains in the distance...mmm it was nice. 


 One of the streets in Old Town Pasadena.  Mountains in the distance, old buildings and architecture. 


 Ben sent me this picture of the Lilacs budding over the fence in our back yard.  When I left they were all sticks and ugly brown.  They are BEAUTIFUL! 

So I've gone to my Aunt and Uncle's house twice since I've been back for a whole day at a time.  I just hang out, run errands with Aunt Nell and then help the boys with homework, swim, practicing piano...it's fun!

 Nathan (9) reading Little House on the Prairie out  loud to me.


 Such a cute helper.  Wiping off the table so we can play cards on it.  


 Their magnificent back yard.  


 Caleb (11) working on a project for school


 Seth is quite the cook/baker.  He was making some delicious cupcakes with cookies inside them.


 And he enjoys doing it!


 Justin was working on a Spanish project where he has to do a cooking demonstration.  So he had the whole things set up to be filmed and was chopping and separating like the cooking shows do.  It was cute.  He made green gazpacho. 


since I've been here i've also babysat for my cousin Bec.  She has three beautiful girls, and I watched two of them the other day!
 This is baby J. She is adorable and so tiny!  Born a little prematurely, she is still healthy and filling out well!  

 Middle Sister now seems so much bigger!  She's a few months older than my niece Miss K, and it was so fun to be around a little girl this age again!  her jabbering and asking questions and playing...so fun!


 Got sweet baby J to smile and laugh a little bit!  


 Mmm yogurt.  And those big blue eyes. 


We had a lot of fun together, and I get to see them again thursday!

Nothing can replace my time with Miss K and Enderpants, but it does help give me my kidlet fix.  =)  

Well folks, that's all for today!  Now I'm off to do some detail work for the wedding!  It's coming up in NINETEEN DAYS!  pretty exciting stuff, if you ask me =)
buh-bye. 

No comments: