Monday, April 28, 2014

California Part 2


I'll try to finish this up today...mainly because drawing it out isn't super awesome for you or for me.  

SO HERE ARE MORE PICTURES!! 


So the extended family on my Dad's side has had a tradition of going to this Mexican food restaurant called Ernie Jr's.  My dad has been going there with his parents and siblings for as long as he can remember.  Well it just so happened that the weekend we were visiting was their last weekend open!  So we decided a last hurrah at Ernie's was in order.  It was really busy and it was obviously well liked.  Apparently there was no one in the family to keep it going, so they sold the building and put the legacy of Ernie to rest.


A limited group photo of the clan who attended the proverbial last supper...



Ernie's famous guacamole!  did someone get that recipe?



here are our super attractive guacamole-eating faces. 



So when we were younger, my dad used to tell us that this bull head was there because the bull was running so fast and couldn't stop and ran right through the wall and got stuck there.  Pretty sure I believed him for a majority of my childhood.  We found out from Ernie Jr himself that night that his father actually killed this bull after a bull fight.  or something like that. 



My cousin caleb ordered the burrito grande.  He wasn't quite expecting the size of this bad boy. 

Still trying to figure out how to eat it!  



sorry if it doesn't look that appetizing...but this is the famous #1: A beef taco and a cheese enchilada with rice and beans.  It was my Grampy's favorite, and mine too =)



Here we are with Ernie himself.  he came into our part of the dining room, and my dad stood up and said, "Ernie we just want to thank you for years of service and good food!" and everyone in the dining room gave him a great round of applause.  Most of them were regulars like we are! 

It really was kind of sad to think that it won't be there next time I go back.  There is something iconic about that place...and it will always hold a special place in my heart. 


The next day, we went up to Ventura with several cousins and Aunt and Uncle and other cousins and just had a grand old time. 

Our main activity was biking.  We biked 6 miles up the coast. it was sooo beautiful.  perfect day for a beach bike ride!



I love train tracks.


No really, I love them. especially when they run by the ocean. 


me and my honey, windblown and lovin' life!



After biking and dinner, we found a grassy area and played a wonderful rousing game of ultimate frisbee.  Unfortuantely we had all just had fish n' chips, or calamari or some kind of fried seafood...and it was a little slow going for a few of us.  But still a lot of fun. 


the sunset was beautiful...an amazing end to a fantastic day.  



The next day was Easter Sunday.  And I really wanted Ben in CA for this.  It is a tradition at my home church in Altadena to climb a little lookout spot in the mountains and enjoy a morning service while enjoying the view of the greater Los Angeles area.  It is one of my favorite traditions and I wanted to share it with Ben. 


Early morning sun shining down on the mountains. 


The sky was perfectly blue and the view was pretty clear considering!



Climbing down after a great song and Scripture service. 


More of the trek down the mountain. 



The Easter morning crew that met back at church for a delicious breakfast! Oh how I love and miss this church family. 


This picture represents a rather humorous moment.  We were all sitting around talking, and my cousin's baby Edmund was perfectly content.  The conversation turned to a friend of ours who had gotten engaged, though several at the table didn't know it yet.  So multiple people exclaimed loudly, "DON'S ENGAGED!?!?"  at that exact moment, Eddie burst out in the most tragic sobs with giant tears rolling down his cheeks...which caused us all to laugh...which made him cry more...
we figured it was his lament over Don's fate ;)



Sitting on my parent's back porch enjoying their back yard will never get old. 



It is such a peaceful place to be.  Even though it has changed a lot over the years, it is still where I spent a majority of my childhood...and will always be special for that reason. 


My dad's classic truck sitting there looking...classic. 


Well, there you have it.  The end of the trip.  It was so delightful and refreshing...and I think Ben and I grew closer as he shared pieces of my CA life with me.  
Going back to California always does my heart good...and I am grateful for every chance I have to get there. 

For all the people I got to see, Thanks for making the effort and being amazing.  you are all so special to me and bless me even now that I've returned back to MN.
For the people I didn't get to see...Don't feel bad.  You were on my heart and in my mind.  If I had had the time, trust me, I would have made a lunch date with every one of you.  Next time. promise. 
=)





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, going home brings us back to our roots and has a calming and reassuring effect when we have been so blessed with God fearing parents and family. For me it is my parents' table, the "farm" and the area, just as it is for you in a different sense. Praise God for His goodness to us and for the grounding we have in Him.
Enjoyed your sharing.
k.

-John and Amy said...

Love the pictures. Makes me feel like I'm there :)