Saturday, October 06, 2007

Luck? I think not.

It was a beautiful California day. If I had believed in luck, this would be the day to show that i receive really good and really not-so-good luck. I had finished up at a long days work and was headed to Beverly Hills to have dinner with my cousin Steven, his friend Doug and then Braden as well. I was to meet them at a PF Changs that I had never been to before. ever.

After finally winding my way around large and luxurious buildings, I found the parking structure and after a very intense search, found a lone parking space (Thank you God!) I flip-flopped down the stairs toward the restaurant on the ground level (flip-flops are the common foot-wear among us californians, just FYI) and was making my way through the throngs of people and cars to the place where my empty belly would be satisfied. (just b/c i thought it was cool, i want you to notice the three words beginning with "th" in the previous sentence :])

All of the sudden, i sort of trip and I look down to see that my flip-flop (or rather, my mothers, as I was borrowing it from her) had torn in the most inconvenient place. And for anyone who as experienced this before, you know that there is no place on a flip-flop that can break and it still be usable. So i was sort of limping along the sidewalk trying my best to look really cool among these rich BH ppl. (Wasn't working)

Then it happened.

I was looking down to see how awkward my shoe looked when I spotted it. A folded up hundred dollar bill. Since people don't normally drop or find these things in the street (at least not where I come from) I figured it was fake and almost past it by. Then, my double take revealed that it was indeed a real bill. I picked it up (snatched with possession may be more accurate) and just as I did, the man in front of me turned around. I half-heartedly held it up and muttered, "Is this yours?" He didn't understand much English so he looked at me confused, glanced at the bill and said, "uhhh, no." I took that and decided to pocket the bill and find my restaurant.

So here I was, broken shoe making me look like an idiot (a real humbling experience) and a real life hundred dollar bill in my wallet. When I finally found the boys, I was so excited just to sit down and rest my forced limp and show off my money. Braden said, quite quickly that I could buy dinner. Which I ended up paying most of. But did walk away with a good $72. I found an Old Navy, purchased some inexpensive flip-flops and a purse which was on sale. cuz now i had money that I didn't have before. I really did want to go spend it on everything in sight. But i used some self control :]
Anyways. That is the story of my grand adventure.
I think God has a great sense of humor, and used the circumstance to both humble & Bless me!!

Here is the grand thing itself :] (I had a hard time giving it up. I sorta wanted to frame it!)




The End.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you gonna tell the rest of the story?

heysoos said...

well the rest of the story would depend on who anonymous is...cuz my night was pretty interesting...

Anonymous said...

I think it extended past that night... Any other bad (NOT)luck to balance such good (NOT) luck? And fyi, anonymous remains anonymous until something gives them away...

Anonymous said...

Suzy, are you going to tell me the rest of this story? this anonymous person is making me curious as to the ending of the night... ah what I miss when I go on vacation.
see you after both of our works... speaking of which i should do.

--amy

heysoos said...

well, amy, i would tell you if i knew who anonymous was and what he/she was talking about. but i'm not sure I do. especially since they said, "i think it extended after that night." and as we all know, i lead a very eventful life, so it could very well be anything :]

p.s. no i'm not trying to be difficult. i really don't know.

Anonymous said...

i think it has something to do with the timing of a wet cell phone that ended up needing to be replaced...which the remainder of that infamous $100 just covered...(or will cover?! hint?!) Theology question of the day: Does the sovereignty of God extend to such things? Hence back to your original point: "Luck? I think not."

heysoos said...

ahh yes. the cell phone. it did work out quite nicely, i must say. thank you, anonymous, for reminding me!! God does work things out for good.
and btw, your check is in the mail :]

Anonymous said...

DORK! (which we all know is an expression of love) you need to update. It won't let me comment on your most recent one, otherwise this would go there. I almost tried to disguise something mildly innapropriate so I could tell you, but i was paranoid that someone would be able to figure out my amazing code. I'll tell you wednesday :)
Love you!
--your first relative named amy.(i think)