Monday, September 26, 2011

a picture is worth a thousand words...

...only when actually accompanied by a thousand words.
[my motto]

I decided to do a picture post. I have all these random life happenings on my phone, and wanted to share them. They aren't on facebook, fyi. And I apologize that some photos have editing and some don't. it's an iPhone thing =P enjoy!



sometimes I go over to jonathan and andrew's man-cave...err...um...condo and we play kinect. it is almost as entertaining to watch as it is to actually play.




so i was sitting in the target plaza waiting for some photos to get done and this fluffy tailed little guy came and sat right next to me on the bench. i wish i had something for him to eat. he was very bold. and i only feared of rabies for like 30 seconds.



these are my girls. we had some great times in college together. i met up with them at Biola not too long ago, because there was this magnificent event called....(cue next photo)



NATIONBALL!!! it is when thousands of Biolans gather in the gym for a friendly game of dodge-ball and they wear colors to represent the dorm they live in. this event is epic, loud, crammed and I'm sure a fire hazard. But it is one of the things I miss about Biola...so I go back. just to watch =)


I have had the privilege of babysitting these two adorable little girls. They are my cousin's kids (Jenna and Anikah) and are such a delight. I was trying to take individual pictures of each girl, but Jenna wasn't too keen on Ani getting a picture without her in it. she would sit a good distance away til I was JUST about to snap the picture and then she'd lean her head in. we have good times.




ACYF is an epic event for Altadena. Lots of kids, food, and high school drama. I go along every year and drive a van full of girls from Huntington Beach to Moorpark and sort of supervise the goings on. I forgot just HOW important every little thing was at that age (like those girls won't let us have the bigger bed even though we're seniors and they're just freshmen. or how all boys are so stupid but we insist on texting them. and then having our friend text them just to get "the other side of the story". how it is perfectly normal to fit three girls in a double bed etc..)




So me and my cousin went on this awesome City Race/Urban hunt thing at Olvera Street in Los Angeles. It was a timed race where we had 30 clues and a certain size area to find the answers in. there were 40-some teams of 2-5 people each. It was crazy and SO much fun! extra credit points included buying/eating a churro and a candy with an insect in it (jon was the gentleman and let me have the churro!)




proof he really did eat it. no seriously, he ate the worm OUT OF the candy in front of the judges to get 6 extra points!! it was amazing.



I have decided that Olvera Street is one of my absolute favorite places in LA. so rich with history (first house AND church ever built in Los Angeles) and yummy food and culture seeping from its very pores. love it.


Change of topic.


Friday was bath day for Miss Tylee. Normally I do it inside, but we had just cleaned the bathrooms and my mom left no option but to use the hose. It was a warm day, and no animals were harmed in this activity. According to my parents she has been "a miserable flea-bag" so this was the post-treatment bath. See how happy she is? (i promise, it isn't torture for her)


Trying to catch a dog on camera mid-shake is quite a feat. But i like this one. because it shows the water off of her and her head is contorting in a rather remarkable way. Ty doesn't mind water, but will shake at every opportunity.




So you know how dog's skin often has darker spots on the pink skin? well Tylee's spots grow brown hair and the pink areas grow white hair. So when she is all clean, she has these beautiful brown under-spots that show through. I love her markings.



The dog-bathing process does not end with just washing the dog. See, she enjoys a good romp in the dry dirt in the back garden in order to warm up and get all the water off of her. So I must wet down the dirt completely so there is no temptation to roll in it. She is a devious lil' thing.



Switching gears: The Fair 2011
Just fyi, the Los Angeles County Fair has been around since 1922 and is huge. and goes on for a month. and attendance tops one million every year. It is larger than our State Fair, and the largest County Fair in the US. (Random piece of trivia: The fairplex land where the fair is held every year was used during WWII to hold the Japanese Americans before they were sent to internment camps. Sad, but interesting i thought)

Anyway, it's a big deal, ok? and I have gone EVERY YEAR for as long as I can remember.


turns out they have this awesome deal on friday that if you bring 5 cans of Ralphs brand food, you get a free ticket! we came prepared.





we took Joey to celebrate his birthday!



good deeds=free admission. so worth it.



my lovely parental units. They are so much fun to go to the fair with!



So in california, kids line up to milk a goat, my 19 year old brother included. Because it is quite the novelty. In fact, the entire barn section is a novelty.



we found this horse. his coloring is...interesting. he was just a happy lil' guy...just hanging around eating his alfalfa.



my family is awesome.



we also go by the hundreds to watch pig races. They're from Iowa. so they're legit. just sayin'.


allow me to introduce the Footsie-Wootsie. Only the best creation of mankind for a place where you are walking all day. (we have sometimes gone at 9 am and stayed until 9 pm. trust me, these are helpful). Best use of $0.25 there could be. seriously. we always make sure we pack quarters for it.



This artist is here year after year. people gather, simply mesmerized by what he does. He uses spray paint and random pieces of paper and round lids and creates these phenomenal works of art. It starts out like he has it on the board right now and ends up like some of the ones on the ground in front. He is sorta spazzy, but a lot of fun. he speaks spanish and I like to banter with him when I've watched him over the years. he is truly talented.



No really...they're good enough to do multiple times a day. And a lot of people don't realize how amazing they are. so we tell them and even lend a quarter if they need it. Just to spread the magic of the Footsie-Wootsie.




He is a pretty awesome lil' brother. we have good times together. actually today is his birthday!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!


so there you have it. bits of my life in photos. =)

4 comments:

Daniel Vera said...

I went to that festival! We watched the pigs race. Then became Men Who Stared at Goats.

Raquel said...

ummm i LOVE the footsie-wootsie thing! lol

Katie May said...

i so enjoyed all of these pictures & words.
the fair looks so wonderful...i wish magdalena had a good fair. the one that's going on right now is nuttin' but junk. :[

Bec said...

Oh, man, I'm finally getting caught up on some reading and I have so many comments :)

First - you and jonathan and that race thing in LA? Awesome. I've always wanted to do it!! Maybe Paula will come home and be my teammate one of these days.

Second - thank you SO much for being so great with my girls. They love you and I don't worry one minute when I know you're with them. Which is huge for me.

Third - The fair . . . we missed it and it's about 2 miles away from us and it's one of my mommy failures for the month. Well, that or I dodged the bullet for one more year before my girls discover what they're missing! Oh yeah, speaking of 2 miles away . . . when you're ever that close, please come knock on our door. We get no "drop by" visitors out here :)