Thursday, October 20, 2011

Memoirs of a Psuedo-Mom: Day 2

Well, I can happily report that today's events were not near as taxing as yesterday's. In fact, it was quite a pleasant day. This morning, I woke up at 6...and let me tell you that I do not normally fully appreciate waking up while it is still dark out. But I did it anyway. By 7:15 I had showered, dressed, gotten myself some hot tea and assisted (ish) in the making of lunches and breakfast. Actually these boys are pretty self-sufficient and their dad helped a lot too.

As my Uncle Dave walked out the door for work, in walk two boys. Every thursday, my aunt drives them to school...and they show up a good fifteen minutes before we have to leave. and those fifteen minutes are...hmmm how shall we put it...loud? understatement. annoying? that's more like it. chaotic? most definitely.

Allow me to introduce you to them...


On the left is Bear, then his brother Blaine, then Nathan.

Yes. his real name is Bear. They are bilingual, but i'm convinced they don't hear or understand anything I say...English or Spanish. Whew. They walk in the door, kick off their shoes, beeline it to the foam swords and commence with yelling, fighting, stabbing and running through the house. Just gotta sorta tune them out. Cute kids, though.

So we pack into the truck and head off to school. From the back seat I hear,
"Let's play Rock, Paper, Scissors!"
"Ok!"
They start playing and then i hear,
"Rock, Paper, GOD!!!! I WIN!"
"Awww. OK ok ok. my turn! Rock, Paper, HOLY SPIRIT!!!! I WIN MORE!"
"Nuh-UH! God and Holy Spirit and Jesus are the same thing and equal!"
"Ok fine. Rock, Paper, TRINITY!!! I BEAT YOU ALLL!"

oh children. interesting application of God-power.

Then after school, I pick up Caleb, Nathan and Caleb's friend Dylan. we run some errands...had a cashier ask if they were my children. they ran around Trader Joes looking for Coconut Joe. Cuz if you find him apparently you get a prize? Then I wisely bought them lots of sugary treats (which in turn bought me lots of kudos and awesome-cousin-suzy points).
These boys have discovered my distaste with spiders (that is putting it mildly...even fake spiders creep me out). The little angels delight in tickling the back of my neck while I'm driving, throwing a beanie-baby spider on me or in front of me and even rigging a flying spider by taping it to a balloon and doing the whole blow-up-then-let-it-fly-in-my-face thing. I informed them that if they throw the stuffed spider at me while I'm driving, it is going right out the window...no regrets at all on my part. I am determined to find every fake spider in this house (you'd be surprised how many there are) and hide them.

Returning home meant homework, dinner prep and catching up with the cousins.
Nathan randomly asks me, "What is liver plus liver?"
To which I respond, "Um I have no idea.."
"Suzy JUST GUESS!"
"Ok...Double Liver."
"Ugh. No...you don't understand this at all... it's 22!"

Oh. right. my bad.
I guess it's a How To Train Your Dragon reference?

Anyway, all that to say, it was a fabulous day. I got lots of rest, relaxation and nothing went wrong! Day 2 was a smashing success! (gonna be honest though...still can't wait for bed.)

oh...and today, Dylan (who I'm not sure is from a Christian family) told me he prayed for me yesterday when he went with the boys to AWANAs take-a-friend night. so cute. and Caleb tonight at bedtime prayed that all the kids at school could be good and stop swearing. Oh God please care for their sweet hearts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had to laugh about the spiders. I seem to remember a time when Elaine saved the whole church from a Suzy screaming fit by catching a spider in active-descent-onto-Suzy by catching him in mid air. I was so impressed.
Actually, Chloe got one of those disgusting black, realistic looking spider rings from a friend at school the other day. My kids don't even TRY to scare me (okay, they did once) but I got so tired of seeing it unexpectedly and jumping that he ended up in the trashcan yesterday. So far, they haven't noticed. The sad thing is that that has happened to enough cheap toys that one day when Chloe was looking for something that I hadn't gotten rid of, she asked, "Did you throw it away?" Er, no, not this time. :-)
Carol

Raquel said...

ok i LOVED the rock paper scissors part! seriously cracked up :-]

heysoos said...

Carol: Yes, Elaine was a definite hero that day...Not sure what I would have done if it had landed. (well...besides scream)
And yes! those spider rings are SO GROSS. the boys had a few of them lying around the house.