Sunday, October 23, 2011

Out of the mouth of... kelly

Kelly is a little 4-year-0ld girl at our church. She is bilingual. she has a very large vocabulary, but it is a mixture of words she knows only in Spanish, and some only in English. And sometimes, grammar is lost in translation. Her mom asked me to speak to her mainly in English, since she hears mainly spanish at home.

Today at church:

"SUSY! Nally (natalie) just say 'Puke!' Que es puke? i dunno what is puke!"
She looked so distressed, because 3-year-old Natalie was giggling like she had said something naughty. I was slightly unsure how to describe puke and throwing up (and had forgotten the word in spanish), and didn't really feel like having the conversation anyway. So I called Natalie over and said, "Kelly and Natalie, Puke is yucky."
Natalie kept smirking, but Kelly got a serious look on her face and shook her head and solemnly said, "puke is yucky? we don't say yucky things!"
To which I replied, "That's right...let's not talk about yucky things right now, ok Natalie? We're only going to talk about nice things."
Kelly nods her head and says seriously, "Yeah...nice things...like hmm...Butterflies!"
I held back a smile and said, "Yes...butterflies are a very nice thing to talk about."

A few minutes later I feel her tugging at my skirt again and looking at me with a slightly confused face, "Susy, Nally wanna play chase. What is chase?" (Natalie is standing a few feet away, with that "I'm gonna run, come catch me" look on her face)
I told her, "Chase is where you run after her...but you can only play chase outside, ok?"
Kelly confirms, "Outside? running? ok!"

Oh this girl is cute. her smile is contagious. She is a bright spot in my Sunday!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Nattles sounds like a definite stinker here! ha ha! I guess that's what having two older brothers will do to you?? I think I'll have to crank up the prayers for her.

Thanks for giving me some laughs this morning. I have the rare chance to get on blogspot from China today because of a special day of jumping the "Wall"...

Lifting up your upcoming transition to the frozen chosen region. Steph in China