Thursday, March 01, 2012

El clamor de mi ser

It's quarter to two...in the morning. But I was thinking about my job and wanted to jot some thoughts down...so I figured I'd blog about it.

Tonight at work, I was asked on three or four occasions throughout my shift by co-workers what I like to do for fun.

It is interesting, because I never know what to say. My definition of fun doesn't always match most people's. Normally I tell them I like hanging out with friends, playing music and games together etc... And then I toss in a comment about how I am used to "california fun" and this whole Minnesota thing is throwing me off.

Anyway, one of the guys asked me what I do for fun, and I told him I hang out with my friends. He asked if I had many friends here and I told him that I have some and it's growing. He asked where I met those friends.

Allow me to insert here that while I am most definitely not ashamed of being a Christian, I rarely enjoy the over-generalized stereotypes that come with the label of being a Christian. So I tend to let them find out because of things like they noticed I don't swear, or won't go out drinking with them or whatever...Not because I walk up and announce that I'm a Christian. (I'm all about building relationships with people and not just preaching at them).

Point being...he asked where I met those friends. I said a few different places then I said, "And a lot of them I met at church."

instantaneously (and predictably), he responds with, "Oh, you go to church. so are you extremely religious?"

Ahh...that delightful little question where my answer is going to define me in his eyes...and since word spreads like wildfire in restaurants...everyone elses eyes in short order.

My answer went something like, "Well the phrase 'extremely religious' doesn't really fit my life...I prefer to call myself a committed Christian."

To which he nodded as if to say, Yeah...same diff.

I'm going to share a little confession here... First of all, let me preface this by saying, I'm not ashamed of the Name of Jesus Christ...or of being a Christian...In fact, I would not be living the life I am right now if I wasn't convinced God is the #1 most important thing in my life. I have given up and said no to some very hard things for this Jesus that I love so much.

and yet...

I still have some fears rise up in me and I hear the voice of the Enemy whisper, "Oh great, now they know you're a Christian, and all your cool factor just went out the window." or "Well, there went your chances at having any friends here...they're all gonna avoid the 'extremely religious' girl for sure."

So I took a deep breath, shut that voice out and decided to listen to the other Voice. the Voice of Truth...because it told me a different story.

"Suzy...I am with you, no matter what they say. And in case you didn't know, I am the most legit "cool factor" you'll ever need. you know from past experience that you won't be shunned, because you spread my light and love...and it draws people like a magnet. Stand firmly on what you know. Never compromise. Love freely. Enjoy the surprises and blessings I have for you in this place."


*sigh* ok...I can do that. I love that God has me in this restaurant, working with these people, facing these questions, trusting him every step of the way. I have no idea why he put me here...but my motto comes straight from Esther...

...maybe I have been put here for such a time as this. (whatever this time is and whoever it is for.)

Prayers would be much appreciated as I navigate this territory. It is really familiar in that I've done it before. But the challenge of it never really goes away.

These are snippets of the lyrics to one of my favorite praise songs. I happen to like it better in Spanish...some of the words just mean more to me. But I'll put the English version below it.

A veces te fallé, mas tú fuiste fiel,
Tu gracia me levantó, me basta tu amor...

Señor, tu voluntad permanecerá,
En ti me quiero perder en adoración,

De mi corazón te doy el control,
Consume todo mi interior, Dios.

Justicia y amor me abrazan, Señor,
Te amo desde mi interior.

El clamor de mi ser es contigo estar
Desde mi interior mi alma clamará.


(A thousand times I've failed, still your mercy remains. Should I stumble again, I'm caught in your grace...You're will above all else, your mercy remains. The art of losing myself in bringing your praise...My heart and my soul, I give you control, Consume me from the inside out Lord...Let justice and praise become my embrace, to love you from the inside out....and the Cry of my heart is to bring you praise from the inside out, Lord my soul cries out...)


The line: The cry of my heart is to bring you praise...from the inside out, Lord my soul cries out

is one of my favorite lines in the whole song. In spanish, the word is "clamor" and it is this deep sound that fits this out-cry of the soul.

this is what my innermost being longs for...to praise the name of the Lord through my life...which will be obvious to those around me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww...Suz, stand strong. I heard someone say recently "I am a follower of Jesus" and that somehow covered it without the conservative Christion stigma. Your blog story is testimony and glory to God...and that's the reason for everything!

Anonymous said...

heysoos...I love the clamor of your heart!! And your refreshing transparency!!
I like the response "I follow the teachings of Jesus". And you do follow Him...not flawlessly, but faithfully!!
The impact of a first impression (whether accurate or not)will change over time and be replaced (or reinforced) by your consistent, God magnifying, Christ exalting, love giving, life giving, light giving, joy filled, genuine walk of life.
Yes, you've done this before, it's a challenge, there are many voices rising up...

I'm singing with you now....

...but the voice of truth tells me a different story, the voice of truth says do not be afraid, and the voice of truth says this is for my glory, out of all the voices calling out to me, I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth!!!
(casting crowns)

for such a time as this!!

143

Karen Diaz said...

I think your lovely, no matter what you believe!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe they'll stop cursing around you