Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Significant Other


So I realize that it has been a while since I last posted. And I know that this is not preferable. But this post is to tell you what has been taking all of my time. For those of you who aren't friends with me on facebook, this might be the first time you're hearing about this. So hold on tight.

I would like to introduce you to my significant other. Comes in a little different package than you might envision with that label.

Drumroll Please!!!!!!


Sierra.

Why Sierra you ask? I wanted a name in Spanish. Sierra has double meaning for me. First of all, it means "mountain" in Spanish, which reminds me of California and the mountains that are so dear to me. Also, it is the beginning of my street name in CA (won't give the rest, as this is a public page. Many of you already know it). Basically, every time I say her name, it is a reminder of home. And my mom also said, "Plus, she's like a mountain of responsibility that you will climb and conquer with perseverance"...or something motherly like that. =)



This is when I went to go pick her up. within minutes of arriving, and she's already snuggling.

Insert funny story: At this point in time, I thought she was a boy. There was some miscommunication about the gender, and as far as I knew, I was getting a male puppy. So I had some great names picked out. It wasn't until me and my cousin were well on our way to the pet store...I had finally picked a name...I lifted her (him) up to look him (her) in the eyes and call her (him) by name...and I realized that his (her)....*ahem* shall we say, equipment... wasn't exactly where it should be for the gender I had previously thought he (she) was.

Poor puppy didn't have a name for a good hour as I tried to re-vamp my whole mindset. It is a real challenge to go from thinking of something as a boy to thinking of it as a girl. But we've survived, and I don't think she has any complexes from it.

Back to cute pictures.


Full-body view. Normally her tail curls up and over her back...but she was a little overwhelmed and frightened.


Stats:
~Lab/Husky Mix (Lab mother, Husky father)
~Completely black (with about five white hairs on her chest...doesn't really constitute a patch)
~Six weeks old
~Still working on sleeping through the night

She sleeps next to my bed in a little fold-up kennel. The first night she whined quite a bit. Second night wasn't too bad, only woke up twice. We're hoping tonight will be when she can sleep pretty much all the way through. hmm one can hope.
~Don't know much about her personality other than...


She sleeps. A LOT. which is good. Cuz I love sleep. But I have a feeling this is just because she's a baby. She needs lots of sleep.

Also...


She's a charmer... Look at those eyes. Seriously, she is the epitome of adorable.


Don't let them fool you though...because she also has a little attitude.

When wrestling with her sister, Bailey, she ended up on top almost every time.

Insertion: Bailey is the more husky-looking litter-mate that my cousins from Indiana got. She has ice-blue eyes, and is GORGEOUS. my other cousins from Illinois also got a litter-mate. His name is Tristan, and he has husky markings with grey eyes. We were so excited to get three puppies from the same litter all in our extended family!


Ok, back to Sierra.

the first night I had her, I was going to a friends house in IL, and I didn't want to leave her home, so I brought her with. I knew people would think she was cute. But I was not prepared for how popular this puppy would be. She was the belle of the ball.

Seriously, she got passed around to almost everyone and she just snoozed and snuggled and looked cute and stole everyone's hearts. There was even talk from some of the guys for an elaborate plan to puppy-nap her away from me. I snuffed those fires out quickly. She has even been talked about on facebook since the weekend was over by her loyal fans who will always love her.


Shannon and her fiance Jared and Sierra. I think they decided they want a dog after they get married. maybe...?


She was even properly christened, Lion King style.


Thankfully, J&K have allowed me to bring Sierra on my nannying adventures.


Little K meets Sierra for the first time. She was completely delighted. She was making her "doggy" sounds and laughing and wanting to pet her but not wanting to get too close. They really do get along well. Sierra follows K around like...well...a puppy dog. K thinks its a game of "I'm gonna get you" (which generally ends in tickling), and then gets confused when Sierra will run after her but then when K stops running, Sierra will sit at K's feet and stare up at her.


Sierra even joined us at bathtime...doing what she does best.


Having this little girl in my life has changed it a LOT. spending the day with her and K really is like having two babies. except K has a diaper, and I have to constantly watch Sierra for that tell-tale squat, which indicates she's about to pee. I do really good about getting her out at least every two hours. But that puppy has got a LOT of liquid in her, and really goes whenever she feels like it. no rhyme or reason. *sigh* This is good for me. And I enjoy having her presence in the loft.

And while this puppy stage is so cute and fun, it'll be nice to have a grown, trained dog who sleeps through the night, can hold her pee and doesn't bark at herself in the mirror. (remind me to get pictures/video of that for y'all)



We really are MFEO (meant for each other).

Signing off until next time,
xoxo
s&s

6 comments:

Karen Diaz said...

ahh cute!!! LOVE her name too:)

Frank said...

Shame on you for buying a dog from a pet store and supporting puppy mills, instead of RESCUING a dog from a shelter who desperately needs a home.

smh

zachschu92 said...

BAAAAHHH!!! *ahem* well Suz. you already know my feelings for sierra :)

Ana Torres said...

What a cutie! Oh, and Sierra is pretty cute too. Miss you!

heysoos said...

@Frank (and anyone else who was thinking this but didn't post it): I do not accept the shame you have tried to put upon me. and please get your facts straight before you comment so negatively. I didn't buy her from a pet store...and I do NOT support puppy mills. She was born on the IL countryside to two neighborhood dogs, one of which belongs to family friends. It wasn't a planned litter and they didn't even ask me to pay for her. While it wasn't a rescue, per say, it most definitely wasn't a pet store either.

and if your concern is truly for the puppies out there, than you'll agree that any puppy who is ALREADY born (on accident or on purpose, for profit or abandoned) needs a loving home, not just those in shelters. so I will love my Sierra completely and totally with no guilt or regret that she's not from a shelter.

sMh


@everyone else: THANKS! she's such a sweetie.

Bec said...

Love it! When the girls are up tomorrow, I'll show them the pictures. It's not a golden retriever but I know they'll love her. Your descriptions reinforce my thoughts that a puppy is sort of like another baby . . . not ready for that yet around here so we'll have to live vicariously through you :)