Wednesday, January 04, 2012

obligatory "resolution" blogpost

Prepare to be disappointed. Because it is an obligatory post...not an actual heart-felt post.

I have no resolutions. Know why? Because in 13 days, my life changes significantly and I have no idea if a resolution made here and now is able to be kept there and then.

Por ejemplo: If I say my resolution this year is to run in Eaton Canyon weekly...well that would be one I can't keep after two weeks.

If I say I will get an extra dosage of Vitamin D whilst doing my devotions outside...that also poses some problems.

So you see? I cannot make a resolution.

But I can for sure make a To-Do list. I started this morning.



There it is. Pretty straight forward. and has much to be added to it.

These last 13 days are filling up SO quickly. I have lunch dates with friends, family events, weddings, church stuff, packing (which includes buying some stuff and getting rid of other stuff), and SO MUCH MORE.

It's ridiculous. And it will fly by SO fast. Today I was driving...it was 80 out. Clear as a bell. a PERFECT southern California day. And before I knew it, my eyes welled up.

I passed the 605, and memories of driving down to Biola or Downey came rushing back. Thoughts I had on that routine drive, music I listened too, phone calls I made/received...all of it, flooding my mind in a moment.

Traffic slowed as I approached the 57 and I was reminded of my Cal Poly days. My only two steady friends, Michelle and Chris. My Spanish teacher who sat on the floor in the hallway outside his office with me as I took the final because my alarm didn't go off and I missed it. Singing in a choir with forty-some people over the age of 65.

Whizzing by Upland, I remembered all the weeks we drove out there for Mrs. Lane's classes as well as Music Nights at FHB. my home school days are precious to me.

I arrived at my cousin's house to babysit and her two little girls welcomed me with open arms...Little A even called me by name!

When I got home, I took the dog to the canyon for a sunset walk. It was SO BEAUTIFUL. I cannot even describe it. hours of my childhood were spent in that canyon. I knew the rocks like the back of my hand. I could run/rock-hop from the Nature Center to the falls (over a mile) and never miss a beat...err...a rock. I love the way the cool air from the canyon mixes with the warm air from the outside the canyon, giving a constant, fascinating temperature shift.






I sat on a rock over looking the dry river-bed and watched the sun against the mountains go from softening golden yellow to cozy warm pink to deep orange. The smells of the foliage, rocks, dry river-bed all mingled to make a familiar, comforting scent. I was listening to Nickel Creek's "Out of the Woods" and
"Sweet Afton"

I wanted that moment to last for hours.


And in that moment...i must confess...I did not want to move at all.
In fact who would want to live anywhere else? People think LA and they think traffic, smog, crime etc... But that place, at that moment.... mmm, I sure hope God has something like the San Gabriel's at sunset in heaven.



This blog got way off topic from resolutions. I was just reminded today at how incredible my current home is. and basically, my only "resolution" would be to stay sane these next weeks and move with confidence that this is what I'm supposed to be doing.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I should be grateful for the weather or be praying it turns nasty so that I won't mind leaving so much. *sigh*

I didn't mean that.

I'm really very grateful that God is blessing my last weeks here with such amazingness. He knows just what to do to make my heart smile.


So if you are from So Cal...enjoy each moment. Take a little bit of time and go outside and just soak it in. If you're not from here...well I'd suggest you look for cheap flights quick and come out. It's worth it...trust me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heysoos,
I was working in a building in Santa Monica and got to watch the sunrise this morning. What a view, from the Hollywood hills to the coast and God's glory blazing over it all! Jeff and I had to stop for a few moments and just be in awe. Thanks for the memories of the canyon! What a wonderful place of quietness right in our own backyard, just minutes from the busyness of the city! I'm sure the Lord has some new memories in the making for you in the frigid Northern Mid-west! May you have eyes to see and a heart open for all that he has for you! I miss you already!
143