Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fifth & Wabasha

I am going to make a confession and tell you a secret all sprinkled in with a normal blog update.

Confession: i have seen too many tv shows about crime, spies, FBI agents, government conspiracies etc...

Secret: When I wrote my title for this blog, I legitimately thought, "Ok, if I'm being traced by anyone and they are looking for clues to where I am, then they'll figure out REALLY quick where Fifth and Wabasha is at. I should erase it...they'll come after me. Even if I'm innocent...because maybe they're trying to pin a non-existent crime on me."

The culprit of such thinking? A thrilling series that aired a while ago called Prison Break. about an innocent man who was framed by the President for a crime that never happened and is on Death row. his brother commits a crime to be put in the same prison to breaking him out (along with six other guys). Basically, it is fantastic, ridiculous, brilliant and thrilling.

Now I do a lot more observing (more than I did before), and a lot of making sure I have traceable alibis to fill any gaps of time where a crime could be pinned on me.

haha just kidding, i'm not that paranoid. at all. although my life would be a little more exciting if I had to keep a low profile on purpose, not just because i actually AM a low profile...


Ok, enough of my ramblings about potential irrational fears of government conspiracies.

---------------------------------

I am sitting here in a coffee shop, looking out at the bustling city, sipping on my favorite tropical green tea (memories of commons at Biola).

My life is just barely getting into routine. I start training for my job tomorrow. I was supposed to do it yesterday, but the trainer had mouth surgery and it got postponed. After that, I'll really be settling into "normal" life...and I'm looking forward to it.

I find that the cold works both for me and against me. Most of the time, it makes going out feel like such a drag, and I don't have the motivation to just go explore or do things that require me to go out. But last night, I was driving and listening to music, and when I got back to my loft, I realized I didn't want to stop being out and listening to music. So I made a favorites playlist. You know the one...a playlist where you like all the songs and you don't want to skip ANY of them. there were 44 hand-picked songs that I wanted to listen to and just walk around. It was about 38 so it wasn't too terrible cold. I walked all around downtown, looking at lights, standing by the river, singing my music (out loud, much to the entertainment of several onlookers I didn't see til too late), and I prayed. It was an amazing night.


Part of my playlist



This was my view of the city lights overlooking the river. I love city lights. it makes me feel not so far from home.


When I got home, I was looking out my window and praying (in spanish...which is what I do when I want to practice), and was thanking God for his blessings throughout this journey...and that even when I feel lonely, I know he's going to take care of me in one way or another and provide people to come along side of me. And right then I got an unexpected phone call from an unexpected friend. we chatted for a while, and it was just what I needed and pretty much an answer to prayer. Guess my spanish isn't that bad =)

Then today in the mail, I received a little note from my cousin who now teaches the Sunday School class we used to co-teach together. Inside were little valentines notes from the kids in the class!


Seriously made my day.



Aren't they just the cutest, sweetest things EVER!? ugh I miss those kiddos a lot. haha one of the little boys is my cousin, and his mom texted me on my trip out here and said, "Last night N prayed for you at dinner and said, 'Jesus don't let suzy miss us too much!'" It was so sweet.

My valentines day consisted of watching my niece all day. And when I say all day...i literally mean, all day. 7:40 am-8:40 pm. (my brother and his wife wanted a little date night, so I watched her for them). I was supposed to train on that day. My manager said something like this, "So I know tuesday is valentine's day, but I figured that you could come in for several hours in the evening." When I told her it wouldn't work out, she said, "What, do you have school or something?" Basically she knew I didn't have any romantic plans and I've only met her twice...was it that obvious?

Here's my lil' valentine:

She wanted to sit on her little pusher and read a book. by herself.



A little while ago, K was sick and didn't have much of an appetite. All of the sudden, that changed drastically. Her entire day revolves around food now. After we had eaten breakfast, she went to her little dish drawer, got out her plate, found a plastic fork, grabbed her bib and proceeded to motion for me to put it on her. Then she lifted her arms for "up" and pointed to the table. And there she sat and pretended to eat. It was SO cute!!


On my days off, I miss her. I really do.

So after training tomorrow, I'll be sure to write an account of how it went, for those of you who are interested!

au revoir.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Estimado señor, por favor protege Suzy mientras se pasea por St. Paul.

Estoy agradecido a Dios entiende el español ...

143

Bec said...

Awww, what a sweet little Valentine! And those cards from the kids are adorable. I hope you know you're missed . . . my girls still talk about you (and can't wait for it to be March just so they can turn the page in their calendar). I'm patching together 2 babysitting options tonight but I wish it was you :)

Anonymous said...

That's the wrong part of town to be walking around late at night by yourself in

heysoos said...

@ Bec: I got your valentine in the mail too!! It was so sweet and hangs right up on my fridge! wish i could have babysat for you too last night =/ miss you guys lots!