Thursday, February 09, 2012

gainfully employed. finally.

First let me say that all credit for the happenings written about in this post goes to the One and Only awesome God. (and I'm not saying that because things are going well. I'm saying it because I believe it with all my heart, all the time).

That being said....


...drum-roll please...


You are reading the ramblings of the newest member of the serving team at Kincaid's restaurant in right here in Downtown.

FAQ's:

1. A server? But what about your career? Well see, life isn't always about career. Sometimes it's about adventure, following God and doing what you love. All of which apply to this job. I'm not giving up on my career. But I love serving (almost as much as probation) and these doors opened only at the hand of God...so I'm just gonna enjoy it.

2. What kind of restaurant is it? Ahh...this glorious tool called google. feel free to use it. really is a wonderful invention. but in short, it is a upscale "American Dining" place. quite classy, if I do say so myself.

3. Are you excited? Um...no duh. My life here in MN is coming together very nicely. Sure I'm still sleeping on an air mattress. Sure I don't have any real furniture. Sure it's really cold. But hey...I have a job! one I will like!

4. Is it far from your place? WALKING DISTANCE. 15 minutes through the skyway. Not bad at ALL. I shall save on gas money too. This is delightful...

5. When do you start? Working out training details tomorrow with the other manager. Should be very soon!

Ok...enough of the not-so-frequently-asked-questions. (I make them up, you see. Because I figure I know what everyone is frequently THINKING.) But feel free to ask REAL FRQ's <--hold the phone. Did I just type FRQ? My high school AP US history teacher would be proud of me. For those of you who don't know, an FRQ is a Free Response Question on an Advanced Placement Test. HA. used to write those things in my sleep.

I meant FAQ.

Whew. Back on track. First of all...Let me just say that I do have a few slight apprehensive feelings. My only restaurant experience was at Mimi's. And it holds a very special place in my heart. In fact, it feels a bit like cheating to go to a new restaurant.

As a tribute, I'm gonna list some things I love/miss about Mimi's:
-The mexicans. Seriously...probably one of my favorite things about Downey was all co-workers and customers who kept me practicing my spanish and made me a Mexicana Blanca en mi corazon.
-The food. Blue Cheese & Walnut Salad. Honey Dijon Salmon. Trio. random creations of the cooks. mmm it was yummy.
-The managers. Seriously, such a fun group. I think I got along with all of them pretty well. Shout out to Joseph, Sol, Rocio, Miguel, Tomas, Eze, Efrain (and the past ones: Short Dan, Long-haired Dan, Ken & Mike). And even though Joe only let me come work as a favor to my last boss...i think he might've liked me in the end.
-My co-w0rkers. Could not have done it without them. Sure, we had drama. LOTS of drama. But overall, I couldn't have asked for a better crew to work with. Lots of memories made, and friendships that will last for a long, LONG time. I miss being called Bob by Chris-and everyone, I miss Ana's drawings on the board, I miss everyone's hugs, I miss Torres' "That's what She said" jokes, I even miss Gabby giving me a hard time about...everything, I miss getting ties from Katie, I miss arguing with the Otero brothers, I miss talking smack to Emmanuel, I miss eating A1 with Jess, I miss talking life with Patty, I miss chatting and laughing with Dulce...
-The regulars: The DeSpains, David, Peggy, Lee, Thursday night group in the back of Garden, Church people, Rose and her friend, the annoying child who called every server "Dude!" across the dining room and always wanted orange juice and SO many more. It felt like family, every shift.
-The cooks, bussers, preppers, and dishwashers. So many good times with them..and couldn't have done my job if they didn't have my back so often. Noe, Junior, Frankie...some of the best bussers a girl could ask for. Chepe, Memo, Pedro, Miguel...good cooks, right there. well, unless they were mad at me about something.
-eating food the cooks made us on slow weekday nights.
-Superbowl sunday...bringing a TV in and rotating service and watching the game in the Winery
-serving a party of 80 who were walk-ins at 10 pm with only two servers and two cooks (Torres...you're my hero!)
-Theater nights. Epic.

Overall, it was an incredible experience. And I know that no restaurant will ever be the same. But after meeting the GM today, this one will be fun too. He is similar to Joseph, my last GM...a little more mature probably =P haha juuust kidding, Joe. maybe.
But really, he'll be fun to work for. Management that knows how to keep business straight but have a good time...it'll make or break the restaurant.

So with that I embark on a new employment adventure. I am super excited and feeling super blessed to be where I'm at, doing what I love.

As a parting...


Little Miss K discovered she could climb the back of the sofa yesterday.



She was pretty pleased with herself.



She also LOVES (and by loves, i mean is obsessed with) blueberries. She pops them like candy. Once she sees them or starts...there's no turning back.



Watching the construction workers finishing the house next door. Every time they would bang their hammers to put up siding, she'd say, "Uh-oh!"

That's all for now!

peace.

5 comments:

Katie May said...

i'm so proud of you. xo.

Anonymous said...

she is going to be tall!

jody said...

Grandma has an old b&w picture of me at her age, (back in the day when random household photography was rare) I'd pushed a stool over to the counter and climbed up to check out what was formerly out of my reach. I don't remember it, but I sure looked pleased about my discovery. I probably made my mother crazy, but I learned early on that new excitement in life comes when you go adventuring. Climbing into and over things was just the beginning!
Go Karlina!

Anonymous said...

heysoos,
blessings in your new job and thanks for the MimiMemories! It was fun living those with you...thanks for sharing along the way. I'm proud of you!!
143

Anonymous said...

Miss you here in L.A.
xox