Friday, February 17, 2012

Training: Day 1

I will sum it up with another Adventures in Odyssey quote:
Jason: I've been thinking through it so much my mind has turned to oatmeal
*a few minutes later*
Jason: I can't even think anymore, Eugene with my brain tied up in knots like this!
Eugene: Now Jason, your brain can't possibly be turned to oatmeal AND tied up in knots at the same time...

Classic Eugene. But I'm pretty sure my brain is both turned to oatmeal and tied up in knots. Today's training was information overload. Fun fact about my restaurant: we have an open kitchen. This means that the line and food preparation takes place in an open walkway that guests use to get to and from the bathroom. When we did the initial tour, the manager said, "it's a lot of fun but it gets loud in here." Whew...he wasn't joking.

So tonight's training consisted of standing at the slide for 5+ hours...

...just watching.

I had a nifty hand-book with colored pictures and descriptions of all the meals, which I would refer to while watching all the real food come up. I only entered the dining room once. Basically, I stood, watched, memorized. and got quizzed occasionally by the zealous and slightly intimidating GM. He's a really great guy...really. it's just challenging to answer questions your upper-boss is asking than it is for customers at a table.

I met a barrage of people tonight. All my new co-workers. I have never worked with so many white, non-spanish-speaking people in all my life. And let me tell you...I missed my non-white, spanish-speaking people. The bantering, the practicing my spanish phrases.... I did find one guy who said (in his words,) "spanish? girl it's my first language!" needless to say, we WILL be friends. he doesn't have a choice.

Everyone was so nice and friendly...and they all remembered my name (which surprised me only until I realized that while they are all new to me, I'm the only new girl there...) I may or may not have had a run-in with the main chef guy. Well, first let me explain. There is the MAIN main chef who runs the whole food-prep staff. He makes up fun dishes, walks around, keeps his guys in line etc... He was super awesome.

Then there's Alex (names changed to protect the innocent). Alex wears a red cap. I was told this means he is a bit more qualified than the other guys. what it really means is that he runs that kitchen. and i mean...RUNS. He says jump? the guys say, how high. But he is really REALLY good at the whole culinary thing. I was impressed. But...I might have stepped on his toes. maybe just his pinky toe. only time will tell.

example: one of the other cooks (Sammy) asked me to get him something, and since I didn't know where it was, he directed me toward it. Alex got impatient because it would have been faster for either Sammy to ask someone else or to even just go get it himself. He started telling Sammy how he should have done it different, and the poor Sammy was like, dude i was just trying to make her feel welcome and useful...it's not that big of a deal. But Alex pretty much said I was not able/competent enough to be doing stuff like that for them cuz i was new. All this was right in front of me. So I turned to Alex and was like, "Hey...calm down. It's ok, he was just helping me out." To which Alex replied, "No, you don't understand..." and then proceeded to fade off and mutter something unintelligible.

After that, the Alex needed a drink of water. I was standing RIGHT THERE. he glanced at me and made eye contact, held up his cup, interrupted another server who was doing something and asked her to fill it with water. Sammy was watching the whole thing and looked at me and smiled and shook his head.

A common theme for the night? "Don't worry, you'll get used to Alex...it'll just take some time."

perfect. I had been planning to come in there with no problems, and of course my smart-aleck mouth would bother the super hardcore chef.

I did get an invitation by Sammy to go with a bunch of other coworkers to hang out after work. I declined. but at least they're making an effort to befriend me. =)

After my "shift" I got to try a bunch of different dishes. Macadamia nut crusted Brie, Crabcake, Seasonal greens Salad with Bleu Cheese Spring Rolls, and a warm pear bread pudding with vanilla bean ice cream and a brandy vanilla sauce.

ridiculously scrumptious.

Not sure how I typed this all this out for you to read. Probably my insatiable need to share my work stories. Someone wise once deduced that it must release endorphins for me and therefore acts like a drug which I then become addicted to and must continue doing to get my "fix."

Same wise person also told me not to post blogs without pictures. But alas, I must. I have no photo to share. my words alone must paint a mental picture for you. Feel free to use creative license if you want.

Now that I am thoroughly exhausted, I will bid you farewell.

1 comment:

Katie May said...

well well well...i enjoyed your story very much, missy! can't wait to hear more 'bout your new job! sounds awesome.